FORUMS: list search recent posts

A few Raid questions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
A few Raid questions
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:46:06 pm

I have two questions about a Raid set ups.

I have a Sonnet five disk raid 5 set up attached via eSata with a G-tech raid controller card. I have one large project on it, that I only work on from time to time. I might work on it a few days in a row, and then not get back to it for a week or two.

My question is should I turn off the enclosure at night and turn it back on every morning, or just let it run all the time? What if I know I won't need it for a week or so?

I also backed up all the media onto two internal hard drives stripped together using the disk utility raid. Can I safely remove these two drives and reinstall them later if needed, or will that mess me up?

Thanks,
Glenn

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: A few Raid questions
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:50:58 pm

hello...

2nd one is hard to answer w/o more info, but you'll always extend the life of a hard drive if you turn it off, plus you'll save power, so ya - if you don't need it for a week at a time, it can't hurt to properly shut it down and then turn it back on. i wouldn't do it 10 times a day, but for extended periods of down time, sure...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: A few Raid questions
on Aug 25, 2009 at 11:29:30 pm

Thanks Curtis, I thought it would help save energy if I could turn it off. What about at the end of the day if I know I am going to use it the next day should I leave it on?

I will just leave the internal drives alone. I was hoping to take them out so I could add a new drive for a clean instal of the OS and FCS 3. But I can remove one of the other drives for that.

Thanks,
Glenn

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]