FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Dual Layer-Disc

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Bezet
DVD Dual Layer-Disc
on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:37:27 pm

I am working on a Mac Pro with Mac OS 10.5.8 with 2x2.26Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor and 8 GB of RAM. I am trying to burn a 7.9 Gb Apple ProRes 4x4 file to a 9.5 gb dual layer DVD-R 16x disc. I am burning this disc as a Data-Disc.

When I try to burn the video file to the disc it says that there is a burning limit of 4.7 gb. Is it even possible to burn this file as one big file or am I required to burn it as two separate halfs that are 4.7 gb or less in size each?

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
Re: DVD Dual Layer-Disc
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:16:38 pm

Hi Alan,

Your computer originally shipped with a drive that supports DL burning, so I'd guess your problem comes from software. You don't state what software you're using, but I usually use Toast and have to select DVD DL as my destination or I'll get the same messages you get. 4.7GB is the maximum capacity of single-layer DVD's, so either your software thinks you'll be writing to standard DVD or your media is not really DVD-9.

It should be entirely possible to burn your complete file.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:21:50 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am using the OSX Finder to try to burn the dual layer disc. I have Toast 6 Lite, any idea if this version of Toast should do a dual layer disc?

Also how do you make an .mov file into an image file?

Alan Bezet
Production Manager
Washington, D.C.
alan.bezet@gmail.com

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:29:11 pm

I don't know if Toast Light will do it. When you open the main window, right above the big red "burn" button in the lower corner is where you'd usually set the destination media in Toast. Options are CD, DVD and DVD DL.

To create a disc-image, I'd personally use Toast with its "Save as Disc Image" feature. The other way I know is to go to the Utilities in Mac OS and open up Disk Utility. There's a "New Image" button on the top bar. When you click that, you can set the parameters for your disc image, such as size (with a DVD DL preset available) and permission. I think you'd want "read/write" and not a sparseimage. Once the image is created, the OS opens it as if it were a connected device. You can put what you want in it and eject it. The .img file you created in Disk Utility should now contain what you put in the container. You can then move around the img file with all its contents. Super-useful. You can keep adding stuff until you reach your image's maximum size. The img file can be burned in most burning software.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:48:14 pm

Thanks a lot, I'm using the MAC OS to make a disk image now. Unfortunately I bought DVD DL-R, and the OS can only make a disc image for a DVD DL+R, so I'll have to buy some more DVD's but hopefully this works.

Thanks for the help!

Alan Bezet
Production Manager
Washington, D.C.
alan.bezet@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]