FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire Fizzle

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Nelson
Firewire Fizzle
on May 19, 2009 at 2:56:22 am

Not sure what I did to make this happen but the firewire ports quit working. Have the following connections:
1. Iomega firewire HD
2. Mackie Onyx firewire pre-amp
3. Cannon DV camera (for capture)
When I connected the camera things started happening. Final Cut wouldn't load, Itunes wouldn't quit, Safari & Mail wouldn't quit. Had to hold down the power button just to get the G5 to shut down. When I powered back up, no firewire ports would work. As they say out here in the desert: "Ya-Teh-Hay!"... Or loosely translated: What the hell went wrong?
Trashed all of today's preferences without success. Ran disk utility without any luck. Couldn't even run Mac Janitor! Doctors, please help!

Thanks in advance...

We're from the Government. We're here to help.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Firewire Fizzle
on May 19, 2009 at 4:28:18 am

Sounds like your firewire bus may have gotten fried some how. I would make an appointment at your nearest Apple Store and let then verify that it is hardware. If it is you will need to have the logic board replaced.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on May 19, 2009 at 12:52:41 pm

Hi Zane,

Thanks for your reply. Hope this isn't the case. Read over on the Apple forum that a 'SMU' reset button may fix the problem. Will try that first before going into sticker shock over a new logic board... Film at eleven...

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on May 19, 2009 at 2:58:16 pm

Zane,
That did it. Resetting the SMU button did the trick. And it didn't hurt (I hope) by cleaning out 6 months of dust from the guts either :}

Thanks again for your input.
John

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 7, 2009 at 11:19:37 pm

other things that may work too is resetting pram. and unplugging all including power cord, waiting a bit then replugging. port isolator cord can prevent frying. this is a good idea before applecare runs out. on cheaper macs firewire is connected to mother board so fixing it is big bucks. on a pro you can always add another card.

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]