PCI-e cards

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glauce Cerveira
PCI-e cards
on May 18, 2009 at 6:56:19 pm

Hi

Hope someone can enlighten me...

My Mac Pro came with PCI-e cards which were previously installed by a music/video company I bought it from. The cards are Fibre Channel (Apple PCIe 4G FC Card) and SCSI (PCI-to-PCI Bridge/ SCSI Bus Controller?). They seem to be configured to work together.

I want to remove these cards, I am not using them and they are preventing my Mac from sleeping... ebay could definitely find them a better home.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, so I can remove the cards safely and maybe get some technical info about them.

Many pre-thanks for any help with this.

Glauce

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: PCI-e cards
on May 19, 2009 at 12:12:45 am

1.Shut down the computer.
2.Unplug all cables except for power, and touch the metal pci access covers on the back to discharge any static electricity.
3.Unplug the power cable.
4.Pull the side panel latch on the back up, remove the panel, lay the mac pro on its side.
5.You'll see your two cards immediately. Loosen the two screws on the pci bracket and remove the bracket.
6.With your two cards you shouldn't need to worry about the locking clip on the board, but if you need it, release it.
7.Pull the cards out, put them in an antistatic bag.

Return to posts index

Glauce Cerveira
on May 19, 2009 at 12:50:02 pm

Thank you Craig - clear and to the point.

That seems more straight forward than I feared, I was worried about the motherboard.

Can I ask you a couple more question?

- In my system preferences there is a preference pane for Fibre Channel (Apple PCIe 4G FC Card).... how do I uninstall it? I found some information for removing non-Apple preference panes, but I am not sure it applies to this one.

- Is there anything else I should do after the cards are taken out?

My mac is running very smoothly (apart from the lack of sleep), I want to make sure it remains happy.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Thomas Quinlan
on May 19, 2009 at 4:09:38 pm

The FC pref pane is built into OSX - the drivers for the Apple FC card are already installed before you put the card in, they only show up once it's in. As soon as the card is out, the pref pane will disappear. Other than that, you're set.

Return to posts index

Glauce Cerveira
on May 19, 2009 at 4:36:26 pm

THANKS A MILLION! You have made everything crystal clear... beautiful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]