FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow / Hanging Internet Browsers

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lincoln Brown
Slow / Hanging Internet Browsers
on May 7, 2009 at 7:03:15 am

Slow / Hanging Browsing . . . . . can anyone please help ???

A couple of weeks ago I started to see a problem with my i-Mac (Running OSX Lep). When browsing the internet, 50% of the time pages load and are displayed quickly (as per normal) but for the other 50% of the time, it will start to load the requested page, and then freeze or hang for anything up to 2 or 3 minutes, and then complete the loading. I have not managed to spot the common issues for the pages that it does hang on, but most notibly, it is impossible to use the Amazon website beyond the initial searches. Searching on Amazon.co.uk is fine, but when I try to go into the pages for ordering, selecting delivery address, paying etc..., it hangs on each new page.

To track down the cause, I have eliminated Safari as I have exactly the same problem with both Safari or Firefox.

Both my Windows Laptop and Mac Book that share the same internet connection as the i-Mac, and both work perfectly well, so I guess the ADSL + Router + LAN etc... are OK ?

The i-Mac has this problem on both the Airport (Wi-Fi) connection and a Cable Connection to my LAN, so I guess it in not related to them.

So . . . . is this something in OSX ? I am not sure where to look and what settings to try and change. Any help would be greatly apprecaited !!

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Dave Mehrman
Re: Slow / Hanging Internet Browsers
on May 13, 2009 at 4:16:35 pm

One thing you can try is to delete you cache files, your user ones, not the browser.

Go to your home folder > Library > Cache; Make sure all your programs are quit completely. Then move to the trash all of the files in that Cache folder.

As long as all programs are quit you should be able to empty the trash with no problem. Some times a couple random files will not delete... hit continue when the warning window tells you about it, it will delete all the rest.

Once you have emptied the trash... give your machine a re-start.

Hopefully that will speed your web browsers up for you and maybe even speed up some other things as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]