FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware problem?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pilkington
Hardware problem?
on May 5, 2009 at 2:22:05 pm

Hi All,

I have recently experienced a number of software crashes on my mac, the most annoying being that of leopard itself on start up.

I use quad intel with os 10.5.6 FCS2 and use fcp 6.0.5 on a daily basis along with dvdp sp and compressor.

I have been working from a G-raid Q drive via FW 800 for my fcp project quite nicely until i had a hang, followed by a force quit with fcp followed by the operating system freezing ending in a hard shut down. This happened several times, along with fcp displaying the error code -600 upon trying to reopen projects afters fcp had force quit.

Now i repaired permissions and used disk warrior on both my system drive and the g-raid and all seemed well until today. when upon hooking up a g-raid 2 drive i had the same problems all over again. Now the drive is disconeected all seems well again. whats up? any ideas much appreciated....

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: Hardware problem?
on May 19, 2009 at 10:53:06 pm

If you've been using this OS drive for awhile, it may have become too fragmented for proper operation. You took the right steps with permissions repair and diskwarrior, but over time the OS becomes very unreliable due to fragmentation and general corruption. If you can, get a new SATA drive, and if you keep a good cloned image, create a fresh OS drive and reinstall FCP. This is what everyone does eventually to get rid of problems just like this.

Once you do, use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a disk image of your new drive, so that if you ever need a fresh OS again, you can just clone a new sata drive with all of your programs already installed, saving yourself hours or even days of time.

Return to posts index

Chris Pilkington
Re: Hardware problem?
on May 20, 2009 at 9:47:00 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was really worried it had something to do with the system drive, as it was newly installed into my machine in december and leopard put onto it.

However i since found that it was the new g-drive q that i had hooked up to it after testing the drive on another machine. The data and discs in the drive are fine, but the bit that makes it talk to my machine have gone south.

Since disconnecting the drive all has been well but thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]