FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting large files off a PC and into a Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
getting large files off a PC and into a Mac
on May 4, 2009 at 4:40:55 pm

Hello-

I have some large files (11 GB, for example) on a PC laptop (SOPY VAIO) and need to get these files onto my Mac, which is a intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.4.11

I have a Lacie Firewire external drive, but it doesn't appear on the PCs list of devices. It DOES appear as device which can be ejected on the PC. But only ejected, it does not mount, at least visibly.

Can I connect via an Ethernet cable? How do I configure this?

Any info much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: getting large files off a PC and into a Mac
on May 5, 2009 at 9:56:41 pm

Use the Mac OS Disk Utility to format your external drive as MS-DOS (FAT), the PC should be able to recognize it. Copy the files (there may be a 2 GB size limit for any single file), and then plug the drive into the Mac. Don't forget to format the drive back to Mac OS after you copy the files to your Mac... and don't forget that formatting erases all data on a drive.

Or, you can get all the Ethernet configuration instructions you need using the Help menu on your Mac.

Or, if you have access to an external Blu-ray burner you could burn 25-50GB data files per disc.

HTH

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: getting large files off a PC and into a Mac
on May 19, 2009 at 11:14:51 pm

Since you need to pull files larger than 2GB, the best (and easiest) option here is to use a Mac formatted volume, and buy a cheap program called MacDrive for 49 bucks (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/). This lets you mount Mac formatted external drives on a PC without those file size limitations. Then you already have a mac formatted volume with your pc data on it without needing to reformat anything.

You can definitely connect and transfer via ethernet, but it's a little more complicated. You could probably do a quick google search that'd tell you what you need to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]