FORUMS: list search recent posts

additional battery/alt. use of desktop monitor

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April Hill
additional battery/alt. use of desktop monitor
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:40:29 pm

Hi there, two inquiries if anyone can help -

1. My mother finally retired her iMAC from five years ago for a MacBook (March '08). She misses the size/quality of the iMAC screen though. Is there a way to hook up the desktop to the laptop so that she can use the desktop's screen? Or does she have to purchase an external monitor? If the latter, any tips/links on what to look for in ext. monitors would be much appreciated!

2. I'd like to get an external battery for my MBP (March '08), and see that there are a lot of options out there. Anyone have any recommendations or links to share on the topic?

Thanks a million,
April

MAC OSX 10.5.6
1.8 GHz Power PC iMAC G5
768 MB DDR SDRAM

MAC OSX 10.5.2
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBookPro
2 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM

LaCie d2 Extreme 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer
LaCie Big Disk 380GB
FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

David Hall
Re: additional battery/alt. use of desktop monitor
on May 21, 2009 at 8:01:18 pm

April, the only way I know of to use an imac as an external would be to connect the macbook pro via firewire, put the MBP into target mode, and option boot into the imac. The problem with this is she'll be using the processor, RAM, etc. of the iMac and not the MBP. Same goes with using the Screen Sharing Utility.

Best suggestion would be to sell the iMac and use the money to offset the cost of a new monitor. Unless your mother is doing video editing or high end gaming, any standard DVI monitor should do fine. I've been using a Viewsonic 20" LCD at work for a while now and its been working great. Usually go for around $200ish.

David Hall
Service Manager
Zero One Media Center
Apple Certified Hardware Technician

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]