FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT not stable when inputting ext mic audio or DV audio

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
QT not stable when inputting ext mic audio or DV audio
on Apr 7, 2009 at 11:13:38 pm

I am running QT Player (pro) 7.6.0 (472)(1290) on a Titanium MacBook PowerPC G4 1.67GHZ 1GB SDRAM (DDR) with Mac OS X 10.5.6

My problem is that I trying to use Quicktime player as a simple program to record audio and video. When audio, the source is an external microphone connected to the input jack. When video, the source is a simple DV camera (Canon ZR900).
The problem is that after I configure in my audio input in System Prefs (external microphone) and after doing the same in the QT prefs, I still sometimes don't get an audio signal recorded. Then I fiddle with the prefs (change the compression quality from Device Native to comething else, then back, etc), or re-open the program, or restart the mac, and then I get a signal. But it is never completely reliable. The same is hjapppening to the video input: using device native, the image comes in but no audio. I looks like it is coming in when I am recording (peak meter is going like normal)but when I play the file, no audio. Also, sometimes, the recording stops saying there was a change in the input source... Then I mess with the compression quality, changing to H264, for example, and audio starts to come through and record...!?

It seems like maybe this version of QT does not like the old computer or the new OS doesn't like the old computer? Or could it be a hardware issue? When I capture using FCP 6.02, I have no problem capturing audio and video through Firewire, which makes me think of a QT / OSX incompatibility... Should I re-install QT with an older version??

Any help much apreciated, I am in need of this tool!

Alan Langdon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]