FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desktop Problem

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael J. Bugera
Desktop Problem
on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:22:46 pm

Here's an embarrassing problem. I had a Pepsi Syndrome moment where I spilled a cup of water on my keyboard. I quickly told the computer to shut down. I picked up the keyboard a few minutes later to wipe it down but didn't notice the computer hadn't shut down. Many keys were pressed while wiping it down.
Upon rebooting I noticed that every time I clicked on an icon the icon would be surrounded by a black box. Also, certain items on the menu bar are doubled (i.e., under Finder there's now two 'Empty Trash' items. One is 'Empty Trash...', with three dots at the end and the other is 'Empty Trash', without the three dots).
I can't imagine what combinations were pressed to give me these options but I can't find any way to turn them off.

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Desktop Problem
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57:58 am

Your going to need to take it into your local Apple Store and have it looked at. Liquid can damage so many components that there is really nothig that anyone can do online.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chris Bauch
on Apr 9, 2009 at 11:50:44 pm

I loaded my start up Hard Drive (500 gb) past 90% full last night while downloading music files to sample for a video project.

When I tried to start up my MAC OS X today the desktop did appear as normal, but it would not read my external drives. So I tried shutting down the system but the MAC would not shut down, it cleared the desktop but would not power off, so I powered it off.

When I restarted the MAC the desktop was completely reset back to empty as the day it was purchased . It had none of my files on it
(I know never keep files on the desktop).
But I have been shifting things around so much lately trying to find more space that projects ended up on the desktop.

Please tell me how I can recover my projects. I know they are still in there because the Hard Drive still reads full, 18.96 gb left.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 10, 2009 at 3:40:31 am

Chris, first thing its not really polite to post your question on the thread of another persons question. Especially when your question is completely unrelated and when the thread is over a month old. Not only but is it not vary polite but you will get many more people reading your question if you post it new. the only reason I saw it was because I responded to the original question and I receiver email notices on my responses, otherwise I would never have seen it.

As for your question, unfortunately it is near impossible to trouble shoot your type of issue with out actually being on your machine. There are just to many variables. But here are a couple of things to try. Look to see what is in the trash, so a spotlight search for the name if the files. Also did you by any chance rename your user folder to something different?

If none of those things help then you may want to make an appointment at your computer into your local apple store and let one of the geniuses look at it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chris Bauch
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:28:55 am

Thanks Zane,
I did find my files in spotlight. So all is not lost.
And sorry for the confusion on where I posted this question, I wasn't aware I had tagged onto the other thread. I was just reading the other questions to see if it was the same problem.
I will be more careful next time.

Thanks again,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]