FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with Monitors Shutting Down

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Ortiz
Problem with Monitors Shutting Down
on Jan 29, 2009 at 12:48:46 am

Has anyone ever had this happen? While working on my Mac Pro, my two displays lost picture simultaneously. The tower and monitors appear to still be on. I'm stuck with black screens.

I had no power outage and my monitors did not hibernate.

I can't get the monitors to display a picture. I had to powered down and restart my tower several times before the picture came back to the screens. The screens remained on for about half an hour and went to black again.

I suspect something in the tower. Any advice, anyone?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Luis Ortiz
Re: Problem with Monitors Shutting Down
on Jan 29, 2009 at 1:57:02 pm

I also discovered that the speakers stop working when the monitors go to black. The speakers remain powered, but receive no signal from the tower. Same with the monitors.

Is this the sign of an over heating computer? I can still hear the fan inside running, though. I might have to open her up and take a peak.

Return to posts index

Luis Ortiz
Re: Problem with Monitors Shutting Down
on Jan 29, 2009 at 3:46:21 pm

I contacted Apple and they instructed me to perform a P-RAM reset.

I had to power down my Mac Pro and disconnect my two monitors and the power cable from the tower.

Then, I had to press the power button for 6 seconds.

After that, I reconnected the monitors and power cable and fired up the mac pro (WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE P, R, OPTION, APPLE KEYS). After the first chime, I was able to see the apple icon on my screen. At that point, I let go of the aforementioned buttons.

Apple advised me to contact them if the problem occurs again. If these steps don't work, the next step might be to take it to a service center.

I'll post again if these steps didn't work.

Luis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]