FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spotlight not indexing mails and addresses

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Bork
Spotlight not indexing mails and addresses
on Jan 18, 2009 at 12:45:49 pm

Hey all,

a couple of weeks ago I recognized that: In my Mail app, I only can search messages by subject, from and to but NOT the entire message body anymore. I tried to rebuild the Mail envelopes and the Spotlight index with several tools, without success. Also, my addresses are not shown (though checked in the Spotlight prefs) anymore in Spotlight ... does anybody have further suggestions how I could come by this problem?

Cheers
Dennis

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Spotlight not indexing mails and addresses
on Jan 18, 2009 at 7:27:25 pm

Check the privacy tab in the spotlight section of system preferences to see if there is anything there. Anything listed there is NOT shown in spotlight searches.

You could also try trashing the spotlight preference file.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Dennis Bork
on Jan 19, 2009 at 10:20:56 am

Hey Zane, thanks for the answer. Unluckily, it did not help. I deleted the Spotlight .plist file and restarted my Mac, but in the Spotlight preferences I could still see my old settings! Where did OS X get the previous settings from? I made sure the .plist file was deleted (not only trashed), and the creation date and time of the new .plist file was when OS X booted again. Do you have any other advice?

Return to posts index

Dennis Bork
on Jan 19, 2009 at 10:27:02 am

Edit: When I restarted the system a SECOND time, it worked out perfectly! Now, also Mail and iCal display the proper search results again! Thank you so much. So, I would recommend if anybody has the same problems to first try deleting the .plist file, as this is the least time consuming process.

Cheers!
Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]