FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading G4 processor

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
Upgrading G4 processor
on Nov 12, 2008 at 4:24:53 pm

Hi, again. Sorry to be such a post hog, but learning about Macs after years of PC work can be trying at times...and learning about old Macs can be especially trying.

I've got a G4 AGP with a 450Mhz processor. It originally had OS 9 on it, but my friend who owned it long ago decided to try installing OS 10. Well, it didn't work very well, and I'm wondering if this processor just can't handle OS 10.

Is it possible to upgrade the processor on this bad boy so that OS 10 might work properly? I see where the G4's can go up to as high as 733Mhz, but I don't know if this chip would be compatible on my motherboard.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Upgrading G4 processor
on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:19:31 pm

I don't recommend doing it. The components in your computer were just not built for it.

I say that your money is better spent on buying a newer used computer.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your computer is so old that if anything breaks, it will probably be cheeper to bet a newer one then fix it.

Just my two cents.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:50:43 pm

I was afraid you were going to say that. I just bought an old copy of After Effects that needs OS X to run, and now I'm thinking this machine won't run OS X because of its processor.

Anyone need a copy of AE 6.5?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 12, 2008 at 6:01:23 pm

Yea that version of after effects needs a much newer OS. Also AE needs some good computer speed to function well.

Again I recommend the money you were going to put into upgrades and put that toward a newer used computer.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Mark Dershowitz
on Nov 14, 2008 at 2:53:00 am

you can try this

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/OWC-Mercury-Extreme/

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:06:00 pm

After doing the upgrade you are thinking about I can honestly say that it is not a good idea. While you may be able to get everything to work it moves incredibly slow (System architecture - bus speed etc.) you will do better with something used like a G5 or something with an intel processor. (an intel imac will blow the doors off)

Been there Done that.

Best,
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]