FORUMS: list search recent posts

imac G5 having issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
imac G5 having issues
on Nov 7, 2008 at 1:59:25 pm

Hello to all...
My friend just called with a problem with is intel imac G5. He booted it up this morning and after it was up and running he said "the screen went to half opacity and then it asked me to hold the power button to shut down." He said it did this two more times then finally the comp stayed on. But when he opens photoshop or illustrator or anything like that, they open then when he tried to open a project the whole program shuts down. Has anyone ever experienced this before? The only thing he has done to his computer is get updates (i believe) and install memory. But the memory was installed 3-4 weeks ago. Any idea's?

Thanks
Chuck

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: imac G5 having issues
on Nov 8, 2008 at 7:16:12 am

[Chuck Obernesser] "the screen went to half opacity and then it asked me to hold the power button to shut down"

Thats called a kernal panic. There are numerous potential causes of kernal panics, both hardware and software. Because there are so many potential causes, I honestly suggest making an appointment at a Apple Store and having your machine looked at. Trying to trouble shoot a issue like his via a online forum is just not practical.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
Re: imac G5 having issues
on Dec 17, 2008 at 6:05:32 pm

Just incase someone is running into this problem, we found out the problem. My friend bought a memory upgrade and I think it was a 2 GB mem for his imac 20". We installed, a week later it acted up. Brought it to apple and they said it was too much memory for the computer. (We also left in the 512 he was running before.) Just wanted to say that the Apple store in Syracuse was really helpful and took care of the problem asap! Great job and hope this can help anyone in the future.

Thanks so much;
Chuck Obernesser

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]