FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help using ichat to remote control imac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Need help using ichat to remote control imac
on Nov 1, 2008 at 2:26:58 am

I'm trying to help my 84 year old dad. I've used ichat to create a remote session taking over his computer so I can see what problems he has , fix things and install software, but it is sporadic whether I can get on or not.
He has cataracts so he can't always see what I'm talking about.

Is there a way so I can log on without him doing anything to set up the session, including opening ichat?

Thanks!

Larry

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Need help using ichat to remote control imac
on Nov 1, 2008 at 2:54:49 am

hello...

you could put it in the startup items to open it every time the box started - not sure if it has an auto-login feature, but i bet it does...that would do it...

fancier than that you could use a unix cron job to check to see if it's open every X minutes and re-open it if not, but the above would be a good start i'd think...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 1, 2008 at 7:58:02 am

[Larry Watts] "Is there a way so I can log on without him doing anything to set up the session, including opening ichat? "

Set ichat to automatically launch on start up, then you will need to set up this auto accept for screen sharing.

http://www.getstonered.com/2007/11/applescript-automatically-accept-ichat.h...

I have not tried it, so I cannot say how well it works.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 2, 2008 at 7:18:04 pm

I believe I used that same script before and it works. We left our dog for a few days (people were staying with her at night) and initiated video chats with her from hawaii. The macbook was put in the room and left on. We had to adjust power management so that the display would sleep but that the computer wouldn't shut off. It worked.

Another, simpler option would be to go under ichat prefs. Switch to the 'video invitation' event, and then check the 'run applescript' box. highlight 'auto accept', and he's good to go. The only issue could be if he gets alot of video invites, but at 84 I'm guessing you're probably the only person on his buddy list :-).

In your situation, you might want to also use the same mobile me account so that you can start screen sharing via back to my mac. If his internet goes down, aol IM service is interrupted, etc., ichat will log off and cause problems.

The section about having ichat automatically come on at startup is an excellent one as well. Just be sure you teach him how to restart and that he gets that down pat. After that you should be able to overcome any difficulties you encounter.

Good luck!

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]