FORUMS: list search recent posts

1st problem ever....

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
1st problem ever....
on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:34:36 pm

Hello to all...
I have a power Mac G5 the 2nd version. I left for the weekend and the computer was fine. I come back Monday and come to find out that the internet is running slow. My imac and my wife's pc work fine and they run off linksys. I have a wireless card in the G5 but the recpetion is horrible. So I hard wired out of the linksys and to the G5, worked fine for 3 weeks. Now it is horrible, I called apple abd they asked if I ran permissions (did 3X's) unplugged the linksys and the actual router (did), told me to make a new user did and to no avail. Switched ports for the wire (did). I did everything they reccommended except for wiping the whole system and starting fresh. I really want to make that the last resort. So I ran persmissions again today and then I ran varify disk. It ran for about 5 minutes and then it said this:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Incorrect block count for file Adobe After Effects 8~1.0 MC Prefs
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
for file %@",1)
Adobe After Effects 8~2.0 MC Prefs
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Incorrect number of thread records
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Overlapped extent allocation (file 4066490)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 5208905 /Users/charlesobernesser/Movies/iMovie Projects.localized/House.dvdproj/Contents/Resources/MPEG.nobackup/V_BABF57A059B640AABACBCAEC42C141706D6F7669_6000000_N_S0.000_E404.471)
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
on.",0)
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 10459822 instead of 10459821)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

There was red stuff and I believe that red is bad, just like you should never touch the big red button. Any idea's before I waste a whole day having to reinstall everything?

Thanks

Chuck
Streamline Concepts
http://www.streamlineconcepts.org

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: 1st problem ever....
on Oct 1, 2008 at 6:02:13 pm

Hi Chuck,

Before you go much further with attempts to fix your problem, I suggest you back up all your important files - of course you do that regularly anyway, right? :-) - and then restart using your OS install disc. Use Disk Utility on the install disc to repair your disc. If that doesn't work for you, then try Disk Warrior and/or TechTool Pro. Beyond that I have no other suggestions. HTH.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
Re: 1st problem ever....
on Oct 1, 2008 at 11:24:06 pm

Thanks Gary, I tried that as well. I restarted and opened the program but it didn't do anything. It would only verify the permissions not fix it. I did have the computer perform a hard disk scan or something like that. But 4 hrs later it found no errors. So I don't know. I am hoping I just need a new ethernet card.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck
Streamline Concepts
http://www.streamlineconcepts.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]