FORUMS: list search recent posts

new to mac and totally clueless

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cameron
new to mac and totally clueless
on Sep 4, 2008 at 12:52:38 am

Hello,

I have used pcs for years, now I purchased a mac os x to do editing. I have no idea what I am doing?
Can someone tell me what I need to install in order to start using my mac like I use my pc? Do I need to install Windows or is OS Apple's equivalent? I have some programs that I wanted to install, one says Windows/Mac OS X, does this mean that you can install program in either operating system? I also have two other programs that don't say whether they are Windows or not but I am assuming that since they came as part of iCreate, they would could be installed on my Mac but I am unable to do this.

If I install Windows, do I need to go with Vista or what? Help, I am very confused.

Can anyone also recommend a good website out there where I can find some basic information out about how to use a Mac for new users?

Thank you in advance.

Carla

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: new to mac and totally clueless
on Sep 4, 2008 at 3:55:50 am

Perhaps you should look into the one2one training offered at the Apple Store.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: new to mac and totally clueless
on Sep 4, 2008 at 4:11:51 am

Well, for starters, go to the source..
http://www.apple.com/mac/
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
lots of basic information and tutorials.
Look at the top of your menubar, click "Help" to bring up an extensive help file that will answer many questions.
If you bought your Mac at an Apple Store, all the stores offer free orientation classes for new users. Many areas have active Mac user groups where help is available. There are hundreds, if not more, Mac-related sites for both experienced users and newbies (Google is your friend).

Also very useful are David Pogue's "Missing Manual" books. "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual" is current and full of useful tips. Highly recommended. Lots of other help in book form.

Mac OS X is the native Macintosh operating system. We users generally find performance and overall user experience superior in many ways to Windows. Depending on how recent your machine is, you can, should you desire or have the need to, install software that will allow you to install and use various flavors or Windows on the same computer. However, for very many Windows applications, there is equivalent Mac software.
If you're doing serious editing work, of course you will need to purchase and install editing software. A basic editor, iMovie, and basic DVD authoring, iDVD should already exist on your machine.
Suggest getting familiar and happy with your gear and the OS before diving into Final Cut Studio or the like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]