FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make custom folder icons with transparency??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason white
How to make custom folder icons with transparency??
on Aug 9, 2008 at 10:18:39 pm

Hi - I know photoshop really well, and wanted to give custom looks to the folder icons in Mac OSX or CDs I burn. I've figured out that I can simply copy an image in photoshop or from elsewhere and just paste it into the 'Info settings' (command-I and then pick the folder icon and hit paste).

So this works but only for a square/rectangular icon. If I want a different or unique shape how do I go about creating transparency?

Is using photoshop even the right way to go about doing that?

jason

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: How to make custom folder icons with transparency??
on Aug 11, 2008 at 4:42:00 pm

Yes, make a Photoshop document with transpart parts. It can be any size, but I suggest working at the icon's default 512x512 size, just so you know what you're going to get.

Save the file as a Photoshop document.

Then, get this free program:
http://www.shinyfrog.net/it/software/img2icns/

Yes, the page isn't in English, but the "Download" button is. Trust me, it works fine and is super-easy. Just open the application and drag the Photoshop file right onto it. That's it. It make it into an icon file.

You found the "Paste" feature in "Get info" already. Now you do the same thing to this icon, but "Copy" it from "Get info." Then paste it in the 'Get info' of the file you want to change.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: How to make custom folder icons with transparency??
on Aug 12, 2008 at 3:05:24 am

Look into a photoshop plugin called IconBuilder Pro for making any icon you want, I have made icons of my business logo, another useful icon app is Can Combine Icons this app makes it easy to combine 2 icons together like combining my business logo icon with a folder icon and hard drive icon.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]