FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitors

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Browne
Monitors
on Jul 24, 2008 at 10:04:20 pm

Who knows if this is an OS X problem or if its like a hardware malfunction or whatever, but we have a G5 computer, and 2 Cinema HD 23" monitors from apple. Whenever we start up the system, both monitors look really contrasty and yuk, and then when we unplug one of the monitors and then plug it back into the graphics card then it goes back to how it is supposed to look.

At the moment we are getting by with unplugging and plugging back in the monitors every time we restart, but it is a big nuisance.

If anyone can spread any light on the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Browne
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Cloud South Films
http://www.cloudsouthfilms.co.nz

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Monitors
on Jul 25, 2008 at 3:13:41 pm

i can't say i've seen this happen, we have multiple monitors on multiple macs, and aside from some slight color differences the look pretty good...

so, a few questions:

has this always happened, or just started one day?

is it the original or built-to-order card (bought through apple at system purchase time) or and after market upgrade (purchased later)?

are your displays connected to the same graphics card, or do you have two cards?

if you have two cards, are they the same manufacturer (ati or nvidia)?

if it's an after market card, you might check the manufacturers site for new drivers/software for that card and your osx version.

if they are on the same card, when boot and one monitor looks bad, open the display pref (apple>system prefs, click 'displays'). go to the 'color' tab and see what display profile each monitor is using. if they are not using the same profile, try setting them to use the default, probably called 'cinema hd' (if you need to, check the box for 'only show profiles for this display', that should narrow it down to the default profile). once set, reboot and see if it keeps the profile.

if you have 2 cards of the same manufacturer, then one is most likely an after market card (g5s only had an option to upgrade the apg card, the other slots were either pci, pci-x or pci-e depending on the g5, and i beleive those cards were only sold by the manufacturers, not apple). as such, you may need to make sure that you have the latest drivers/software for that card. just check the manufacturer's site for the latest stuff for you card and osx version.

if you have 2 cards from different manufacturers, then again you may need to make sure you have the latest software for that card, but you may also have issues with loading multiple drivers from different manufactures, and i can't think of a way to fix that... try plugging both monitors into the same card (probably the apg card to see if that has any effect...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dan Browne
on Jul 27, 2008 at 9:09:30 pm

It just started one day. I think it started just after we had moved offices... So I guess it had a long car journey..

It was bought before I had joined the company and no one seems to have records of what they did when they bought it.. so im not sure if it is the original, built to order or after market card. But I can tell you that it is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600. Is that what normally comes with it..?

I believe this is the one we have http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_quad_2....

It has 10gb RAM.. its all on the same card (only one card).

Hope that helps.... and thanks again for your help.

Dan

Dan Browne
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Cloud South Films

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:37:38 pm

the card sounds like the stock agp card that shipped with the g5, so apple made the card and writes the drivers. that should be good news, it means that the driver should get continued support and automatically updated thru apple's software update for a given osx version (so if the os gets updated you won't need to check elsewhere for driver updates).

when you boot and one monitor looks bad, before reseting it, check the displays settings in apple>system preferences. a displays panel should open up in each monitor. look for display settings that are different, particularly for the display profiles in the color tab. if any settings (resolution, color, brightness or profile) are different, try setting them to be the same on each monitor. for profiles you might also try the default profile, just check the option for 'only profiles for this display', it should be called something like 'cinema display'. then reboot and see if the settings are maintained.

if not, try switching the monitors (plug the good one into the other port and the other way around), then reboot. i'm just trying to determine if it is the card or possibly a monitor that is giving you problems.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dan Browne
on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:12:38 pm

Hey Kevin,

Sorry probably a missunderstanding, but its both monitors that go contrasty when you start up the computer, then I take out the plug of one of them, it adjusts its self so it is not dual monitor mode, then i plug it back in and it goes back to dual monitor mode but not contrasty...

Hope that clarifies things.

Your help is sooooo appreciated btw. Thank you.

D

Dan Browne
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Cloud South Films

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:21:26 pm

what are the display settings when you first boot the computer (and things look contrasty)? particularly the profile in the color tab...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:53:15 pm

Hi
Probably not appropriate, but check there's nothing funky going on with System Preferences>Universal Access>Enhance Contrast.
Inadvertently using the keyboard commands for this caught me out on a single monitor display...

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:01:32 pm

that's a good call... and probably more likely than a bad monitor profile.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dan Browne
on Jul 29, 2008 at 10:08:18 pm

Haha you will never guess what guys!!! Thats just it. The contrast was set to high in the universal access and when you unplug the monitor and plug it back in again it seemed to reset the universal access contrast thingy. Oh I feel so dumb. We have had 2 techs come in both thought that the card was screwed.

Thank you so much. 6 months of pain with a 2 second fix.

D :D

Dan Browne
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Cloud South Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]