FORUMS: list search recent posts

searching in finder windows

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan Hudson
searching in finder windows
on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:54:26 pm

is there a way to search using the finder windows in 10.5 so that the results appear in organized categories (image files, movie files, documents, etc...) like it did in 10.4? i'm talking about the the search area in the windows not spotlight. when i search using the window it just brings up a jumbled list of all types of files rather than organizing them like in 10.4. i know you can search specifically for movies and other kinds by clicking the plus sign but thats a few extra steps i'd like to avoid.

i am using mac osX 10.5

thanks

Return to posts index

craig alan
Re: searching in finder windows
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:52:02 am

click on kind and it will sort by kind.

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:54:52 am

[jonathan Hudson] "it just brings up a jumbled list of all types of files rather than organizing them"

Click on the little tab called "kind" and it will sot it by file type.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

jonathan Hudson
on Jul 19, 2008 at 6:35:29 am

thanks for the reply. i know that you can choose how you want to search by clicking the "kind" button and such, but in 10.4 it did that automatically and split it up by category. i was just surprised when i installed 10.5 and the functionality that i loved about the search in 10.4 was missing, so i was wondering if there is a way to get it back because it seems like a step backwards which is not usually apple's style.

thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2008 at 11:01:10 pm

It seems pretty powerful to me. By default it sorts by “last opened” which is often the one I’m looking for. You can re-sort by name or kind. You can fine-tune the search by clicking the + button and adding criteria. You can preview any document without waiting for the app to launch and then having to quit or close that. And there is uniformity between a folder search, the finder search, and spotlight>show all. The only thing that has bothered me is sometimes I want to find the last file I added rather than when it was created. For example, I download a file and store it in a folder. I open the folder and have the choice to sort by name date or type, none of which puts this downloaded file at the top. Same problem if I drag a file into a new folder.

Spotlight will initially break it down by type, which can be customized in system preferences>spotlight preferences.

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]