FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optical Audio Out Stuck On, MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Ward
Optical Audio Out Stuck On, MacBook Pro
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:57:39 pm

MacBook Pro 15" (1st generation--just over 2 years old)
OSX 10.4.11

The hybrid audio port is stuck on optical out disabling built in speakers as well as headphone out. Is there a way of manually disabling this or changing the output? I'm not opposed even to disabling the port completely to at least restore the speakers. I've scoured the web for a solution, and while this problem is fairly common, I have not found a solution that has worked in this case. E.g., I've tried resetting the computer with headphones connected and even inserting a toothpick as one blogger suggested.

Cheers,

Peter

JVC HD110U
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2GHz
Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Optical Audio Out Stuck On, MacBook Pro
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:04:36 am

[Peter Ward] "Is there a way of manually disabling this or changing the output?"

Nope it probably a bad port, you should take it in for repair.

[Peter Ward] "I'm not opposed even to disabling the port completely"

Again not an option.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Peter Ward
on Jul 18, 2008 at 2:15:11 am

But the computer speakers still emit the bootloader sound, implying there is a firmware controlled switch somewhere and that it is still operational. Furthermore, my research suggests optical can be manually disengaged in Windows. I don't have Windows on mine to test this, though. If this is the case, it would seem to me to be, at least in principle, feasible reroute the audio using the OS (probably a terminal operation).

JVC HD110U
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2GHz
Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 18, 2008 at 3:15:05 am

It is still probably the audio jack, I had a friend with the EXACT same issue. Take it in to your Apple Store and have one of there Geniuses look at it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Bill Miller
on Jun 11, 2009 at 3:24:30 pm

Just had this same problem after unplugging external speakers on my 15" MBP, red light in headphone jack, no internal speaker sound or option to select them, etc. It is a sticky connection in the headphone jack. Reinserted the speaker jack, wiggled gently side to side while pulling it out, and voila, internal speakers work. Pretty easy really.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]