FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forget about the Dock

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob hindley
Forget about the Dock
on Jun 3, 2008 at 9:45:46 pm

Isn't it time Apple pulled back on the glitzy ui in favour of functionality?

I'm a Mac user since 1990 and it seems Apple have lost their way (a bit) in terms of inventiveness. Isn't the Dock just a glossy way of using app aliases on the desktop? And now a REFLECTIVE dock...ooh aah!

I suggest they freak everyone out and dump the dock and buy in FinderPop - access apps and files from ANYWHERE on the desktop. Easy to customize, super quick.

I love Macs but as a graphic designer/animator I love speed and functionality even more.

BTW Great move to Intel and dual booting.

Gribble
::: Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana :::

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Forget about the Dock
on Jun 3, 2008 at 9:55:25 pm

hello...

[rob hindley] "Isn't it time Apple pulled back on the glitzy ui in favour of functionality?"

how is the dock not functional? finderpop adds functionality, but the dock is a very useful way to get around...

(not sure if you just came to complain about os x or if you had an actual question, but i figured i'd fall for the bait)

sitruc

Return to posts index

rob hindley
on Jun 3, 2008 at 11:11:54 pm

Thanks for your reply Curtis. Of course the dock is functional but so was Apple's puck mouse.

The aim of my comment was to spark healthy debate and encourage forward thinking. I was of the understanding that forums were not only for technical questions but the exchange of ideas and thoughts - or is that a blog?

Honestly it is not my intent to just complain like many a forum user...

Gribble

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 4, 2008 at 12:32:37 am

[rob hindley] "The aim of my comment was to spark healthy debate and encourage forward thinking"

Well it came off as if you were just complaining, maybe you should have stated your purpose.

As for me the dock serves the purpose it was created for.

[rob hindley] "Isn't it time Apple pulled back on the glitzy ui in favour of functionality? "

I don't really see what more functionality the dock needs. Perhaps you should be a bit more clear on what exactly you think it needs. Instead of being clear on things you just seemed to complain that it needs to do more.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

rob hindley
on Jun 4, 2008 at 12:44:43 am

Point taken Zane.

Gribble

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Jun 4, 2008 at 3:14:41 am

Well, since we're talking about it, here are 3 other ways to access applications.

Here's how I found most of my apps back in Tiger:

And here's how I do it now. Similar, but more colorful.

And of course, there's our fun friend Spotlight. This was useless for app-launching in Tiger, but in Leopard it now selects the 'Applications' items first, thus making 3 or 4 letters all you need to launch some long-lost app.

And while we're talking about the Dock, I love dragging files onto applications there. I have it so double-clicking JPEGs opens preview, but if I need it in Photoshop I'll always drag it onto the Dock icon.

Oh, and I don't really know how to screen-grab this one, but it's possible to launch apps using your voice. It's not faster, so I don't do it. But it's there!

I'm glad that 3rd party launchers exist, but I don't think it's fair to say that Apple's been ignoring the issue.

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on Jun 4, 2008 at 6:52:39 pm

[Jeff Carpenter] "Here's how I found most of my apps back in Tiger:"

Hi,

I do something similar. I created a folder in my home directory that contains alias's to all the applications I normally use. Some applications that are not stored in Applications and some that are. Then I dragged that folder (after adding a custom icon to the dock).

BTW in the finder CMD-Shift-A brings up the Applications Directory and CMD-Shift-U brings up the utilities directory.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:02:35 pm

Rob

a couple of things
first off, it took me a while as an xp fan to get used to using the dock, and now i have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it, its just as good as windows' windows button which you press, then use arrow keys to navigate to the programme you want, then press enter... very easy, and just as easy on the dock.

the other thing, what on earth is wrong with complaining fr the sake of it? The squeaky wheel gets oil, right? If enough users complain to apple about things which are less than ideal, there is more chance those things will be improved, so complain on! It's healthy!

cheers
Mark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]