FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: G5 Freezes after upgrade - PLEASE HELP!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mitch Sink
Re: G5 Freezes after upgrade - PLEASE HELP!
on May 22, 2008 at 6:02:07 pm

[Vic David] "I ran Disk utility and "verified/repaired" the Leopard boot disc, while in Tiger. It found invalid number of volumes. Could that cause the computer to freeze? I also noticed, when it froze, the fans started working increasingly louder, which probably means a temperature issue somewhere."

Hi,

I think the freeze is probably effecting the SW that controls the fans (I don't think its a temperature issue). If it was it would probably happen in Tiger also.

I don't think running the Tiger version of Disk Utility on a Leopard Partition is a good idea. Hopefully (I'm not sure) if that caused any problems running it again from a Leopard partition or from the OS DVD will fix it.

"It's a nightmare! We upgraded our G5 (Dual 2Ghz) with leopard on a brand new separate boot drive"

But before we get into that how did you create the Leopard Boot Partition? Maybe you should do it again differently.

If you are going to continue to try using the existing boot partition again my first step would be to either run Disk Warrior (first choice) or if you don't have it or don't want to purchase it run Disk Utility "Repair Disk" while booted from another Leopard Partition or from the Leopard OS DVD. I would also run repair permissions until you get a clean run (this should also be done from Leopard but can be done from the same partition you are booted from ).

If that doesn't fix it to rule out the drive you could clone the Leopard Boot Partition to an empty partition on another drive and try booting from that drive.

I think before I did that I would manually install the most recent 10.5.2 Combo Update (sometimes running the combo update will fix problems caused by incremental updates).

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]