FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 Freezes after upgrade - PLEASE HELP!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic David
G5 Freezes after upgrade - PLEASE HELP!
on May 20, 2008 at 8:05:53 pm

It's a nightmare! We upgraded our G5 (Dual 2Ghz) with leopard on a brand new separate boot drive Seagate 7200RPM SATA 250GB, 2GB of RAM (now 4.5GB total) and X800 AGP. Now the computer periodically freezes. it freezes when an application like office starts, or in the middle of FCP session, or just by itself, when nothing is running. We can downgrade back to 2.5GB of RAM, Tiger, which is still inside on a secondary boot drive, and back to 64MB radeon 9600 (OEM). But before we start eliminating all these elements, probably some of you, Apple gurus would suggest whether there is any pattern, or a log of what went wrong prior to the freeze.

Thanks in advance,
Vic.

Return to posts index

Vic David
Re: G5 Freezes after upgrade - PLEASE HELP!
on May 20, 2008 at 8:11:29 pm

the PCI-X slots assigned in the following order:
top slot UL4D SCSI
one below Blackmagic HD
X800 is in AGP slot

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on May 20, 2008 at 11:56:35 pm

Hi,

If you added RAM try removing the additional RAM.

Otherwise I would try working temporarily with the original boot drive to be absolutely sure its not a hardware issue.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Vic David
on May 21, 2008 at 12:30:25 am

The freezes are sooo irregular - it's really hard to track. It happened this morning once, and after that the G5 has been working flawlessly. Yesterday, it froze 3 times, without much work being done on it. I suppose it's either RAM or X800. Is there any way to see the log of what happened?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 21, 2008 at 5:04:36 am

Boot from the old boot drive, if the issue continues then it is definitely hardware, in which case remove each new piece of hardware one at a time and see if the issue ends

If the issue does not continue when booted from the old boot drive then it is probably a bad install of the OS or some other piece of software.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on May 21, 2008 at 5:09:49 am

[Vic David] "I suppose it's either RAM or X800."

Hi,

I didn't realize you had also installed the X800. I would start by removing both the X800 and the extra RAM and see if the problem goes away.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 21, 2008 at 5:12:05 am

[Mitch Sink] "I didn't realize you had also installed the X800. I would start by removing both the X800 and the extra RAM and see if the problem goes away. "

Again I say boot from the other drive, its much easier to do that, PLUS it will narrow it down to hard ware or software.

Just pulling hardware out does no good at all if you dont know for sure it is hardware.

Return to posts index

Vic David
on May 22, 2008 at 5:24:26 pm

I removed additional RAM, and then replaced X800 back with the original Radeon 9600. The G5 kept freezing. Then I booted from a a different HD (Tiger) with all new hardware installed bak in and left it running overnight. It worked flawlessly. The problem is either a brand new Seagate 7200RPM or the install. I ran Disk utility and "verified/repaired" the Leopard boot disc, while in Tiger. It found invalid number of volumes. Could that cause the computer to freeze? I also noticed, when it froze, the fans started working increasingly louder, which probably means a temperature issue somewhere. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Studio 7NY
G5 Dual 2 Ghz, Leopard, FCP Studio 2, Blackmagic HD, ATTO UL4D, MOTU V3HD

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on May 22, 2008 at 6:02:07 pm

[Vic David] "I ran Disk utility and "verified/repaired" the Leopard boot disc, while in Tiger. It found invalid number of volumes. Could that cause the computer to freeze? I also noticed, when it froze, the fans started working increasingly louder, which probably means a temperature issue somewhere."

Hi,

I think the freeze is probably effecting the SW that controls the fans (I don't think its a temperature issue). If it was it would probably happen in Tiger also.

I don't think running the Tiger version of Disk Utility on a Leopard Partition is a good idea. Hopefully (I'm not sure) if that caused any problems running it again from a Leopard partition or from the OS DVD will fix it.

"It's a nightmare! We upgraded our G5 (Dual 2Ghz) with leopard on a brand new separate boot drive"

But before we get into that how did you create the Leopard Boot Partition? Maybe you should do it again differently.

If you are going to continue to try using the existing boot partition again my first step would be to either run Disk Warrior (first choice) or if you don't have it or don't want to purchase it run Disk Utility "Repair Disk" while booted from another Leopard Partition or from the Leopard OS DVD. I would also run repair permissions until you get a clean run (this should also be done from Leopard but can be done from the same partition you are booted from ).

If that doesn't fix it to rule out the drive you could clone the Leopard Boot Partition to an empty partition on another drive and try booting from that drive.

I think before I did that I would manually install the most recent 10.5.2 Combo Update (sometimes running the combo update will fix problems caused by incremental updates).

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Vic David
on May 22, 2008 at 6:20:04 pm

Our Leopard is 10.5.2. the install of leopard was done fresh on a brand new Segate 7200RPM drive. I wanted to have a smooth transition from Tiger to Leopard, from FCP Studio to Studio2, etc. I really can't imagine any safer way to install new OS. Thus far, after repairing the Leopard drive in Tiger, it hasn't frozen. Hopefully that took care of the problem. My next step would be running Disc Utility ( i don't have current DW) from the install DVD. Not sure how to repair permissions.
Thanks,

Studio 7NY

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on May 22, 2008 at 6:29:28 pm

[Vic David] "Thus far, after repairing the Leopard drive in Tiger, it hasn't frozen. Hopefully that took care of the problem. My next step would be running Disc Utility ( i don't have current DW) from the install DVD. Not sure how to repair permissions."

Hi,

I would still repair the drive using a Leopard version of DU.

You repair permissions in Disk Utility in the First Aid Tab (in Leopard). Just click "Repair Disk Permissions". I run this after any major SW Install. Quick, easy and safe to run and incorrect Permissions can cause major problems.

Return to posts index

Vic David
on May 22, 2008 at 7:01:56 pm

Mitch,
thanks a million. I am running it now. It found tons of problem in the 1st run.

Studio 7NY

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 23, 2008 at 3:20:43 am

[Vic David] "I removed additional RAM, and then replaced X800 back with the original Radeon 9600. The G5 kept freezing. Then I booted from a a different HD (Tiger) with all new hardware installed bak in and left it running overnight. It worked flawlessly."

Yea thats why I recommended booting from the old system drive first.[Vic David] "I ran Disk utility and "verified/repaired" the Leopard boot disc, while in Tiger."

Definitely not a good idea. You can use a newer version of the OS to repair permissions on an older but using an older OS to repair a newer one can actually cause more problems.

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Jun 3, 2008 at 5:49:23 pm

Have you tried zapping the parameter RAM? I was having some problems with my G5 2.7 and then I zapped the parameter RAM and reset the power manger. There is a little button (very tiny) near the RAM modules that you can press and then re-hook up everything. That solved my problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]