FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Machine-What is it really backing up?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Denn
Time Machine-What is it really backing up?
on May 3, 2008 at 2:35:17 pm

Hello

I started using Time Machine this past January. I backup every few weeks.
I have my Time Machine set to backup my entire internal HD to an external 160GB HD.
I know for a fact I haven't created 24GB's worth of files in the last two weeks.
Today when I started my backup I had about 28GB's left on that EXT. 160GB, when it was done backing up, I'm left with 4.79GB. WHY? & what is Time Machine backing up?
It blew away all the backups from Jan, & gave me a brand new back from today.

I have only used 110.44GB on my internal HD.
Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Time Machine-What is it really backing up?
on May 4, 2008 at 5:42:46 am

It backs up EVERYTHING.

One the time machine drive is full it automatically dumps the oldest backups to make room for now ones.

Personally I would say your time machine drive is to small, I usually recommend a drive that is at least 2x the size on your computers drive.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Time Machine-What is it really backing up?
on May 5, 2008 at 7:10:53 pm

>> I know for a fact I haven't created 24GB's worth of files in the last two weeks.

Yes, but you've probably changed something on 24 GB's worth of files. Once something is changed it re-adds that file to the backup, while keeping the original file.

No matter how big your Time Machine drive is, it will always become full eventually. That's how it works. The only difference is, the larger it is, the further back in time you can go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]