FORUMS: list search recent posts

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! LaCie External Hard drive is making odd sounds

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa De Masi
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! LaCie External Hard drive is making odd sounds
on Mar 27, 2008 at 12:14:04 am

Hello,

My LaCie external Hard Drive (500GB) was working fine until yesturday. It still has more than 200GB of free space. I was exporting my Final Cut pro project onto the external hard drive and compressing another file. Everything was working fine when around 12pm my external hard drive started to make some strange sounds. The sounds sounded like morris code. All of a sudden my Final Cut pro wasn't responding any more so I forced quited it and then my computer seemed to be frozen so I called Apple care and they told me to reboot my system so I did and I was able to see all my hard drives except my external LaCie hard drive (500GB) and the morris code sounds was still happening. I don't know why this is happening or even how it could have happen. I just want to know what I can do to save all my work that is on that external hard drive and fix the problem. I haven't shut off the external hard drive yet, so please let me know ASAP what I should do.

The beeping sounds from my LaCie external hard drive stopped this morning, so I tried to see if I could see my external hard drive after I re-open my computer (Power PC Mac G5 - dual core) and I am still unable to see my external hard drive. I hope that there is a way for me to save all my work because I need this work in order to give it to a client and get paid. Please give me some info on what actions to take to recover or save my work ASAP.

thank you,
Melissa De Masi
PS. Please reply to my message ASAP because it's an emergency!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! LaCie External Hard drive is making odd sounds
on Mar 27, 2008 at 3:34:49 pm

You need to call LaCie and see if they have any policy for reparing drives. I don't have experience with them, but the same thing happened to me with another drive company. That company was able to copy the data onto a new drive for me and send that back to me.

That company had a warrenty for that sort of thing that comes with the drive, so it was free. I don't know what LaCie's policy is, but they're the best ones to help you out.

Return to posts index

Melissa De Masi
on Mar 30, 2008 at 5:20:58 pm

Thanks for the advise. I got through to LaCie finally and unfortunately they don't cover data recovery under their warranty and if I go with another company that specializes in data recovery they told me that it's really expensive, so I'm just getting it repaired but I hope that they just give me a new drive.

What company is your hard drive with?
Is it compatible with Mac computers?
Is it as good as La Cie?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Mar 30, 2008 at 6:15:59 pm

>>What company is your hard drive with?

It was a G-RAID

http://g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm

Return to posts index

Melissa De Masi
on Mar 31, 2008 at 12:22:48 pm

thanks
i guess it's Mac compatible?
So GRaid offers data recovery within it's warranty?

Return to posts index

Jim Tuchschmidt
on Mar 30, 2008 at 3:14:05 am

Contact LaCie. They have great customer service. I had a drive that was failing and they repaired it under warranty. Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

Melissa De Masi
on Mar 30, 2008 at 5:23:24 pm

thanks for the advice guys my hard drive is being shipped off tomorrow morning so I should be expecting it back in about 5 to 10 business days.

Return to posts index

Paolo Ciccone
on Mar 31, 2008 at 3:31:16 pm

In my experience LaCie drives fail with in credible frequency. I had 3 drives fail out of 4 and that is not a good sign. With multiple interfaces you can try to see if the drive is accessible via the FW 400 or USB port . Sometimes one port gets fried but the others will be fine.
My advice is to use the laCie drives for something that is not important, like render files. After the last failure, which costed me footage and photos and happened abou 6 months after the drive was purchased, I switched to the FirmTek SATA enclosure. Not only I can control the quality of the drives that I use, LaCie seems to use some of the cheapest drives in the market, but I can swap them with ease and they are much faster than FW disks.
Take a look at http://www.firmtek.com

--
Paolo Ciccone http://www.paolociccone.com
Hellriser Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

darric martinez
on Aug 13, 2009 at 1:19:15 am

The same happened to me. It turned out just to be the power supply cable went bad. Luckily I had another to test it. The tech support had a few other suggestions- you may want to talk with them before erasing. Good luck*

Return to posts index

Pedro Theaks
LaCie External Hard drive is making odd sounds
on Jul 8, 2015 at 3:39:45 am

Try a different cable, that worked for me
Then back up with an alternative to Lacie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]