FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Antivirus software

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff moss
Which Antivirus software
on Mar 18, 2008 at 5:02:42 am

Hello everyone,
I have a G5 Powerpc OSX10.5. Leopard. I have this networked with my PC winxp. One of my associates has discovered a trojan in his machine. He scans pictures for the video montages I create as part of my business. Up till now, I have no anti virus in either machine as I didn't feel the need, especially on my mac. Crazy, I know, but I want to take the right step to avoid disaster. My associate gives me cd's with the scans after photo shopping them, and I want nothing to do with them if I could be infected. What is the best, most reliable antivirus software that can be disabled while I do my video production. ( FCP etc... ) I wanted to scan the discs on my mac, them drag them over to my pc after they are free and clear on any viruses if any. This is affecting my business now because I don't want to take any chances until I am protected. Your advice is greatly appreciated folks. I looked at Avast, but don't know much about it. My main concern is the software hogging up resources and causing performance issues when installed, Hence the reason I have not done so yet, so being able to shut it off when needed is important to me. Thanks in advance.

Warmest regards, Jeff Moss

Best regards, Jeff

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Which Antivirus software
on Mar 18, 2008 at 5:00:20 pm

Virus software is a wast of money on a Mac. However you will want to purchase some for the PC. Norton AV is good.

If you have a PC virus software should NEVER be considered an option.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

jeff moss
on Mar 18, 2008 at 6:30:57 pm

Hi Zane,
Thanks for the reply. What I wanted to do is have the virus software installed on my mac, scan the files in question, then bring them over to the PC. I would much rather do it this way as the mac is much safer, rather than taking a chance on the PC. That is why I need a Mac antivirus program. If I loaded the files on the PC first and the software finds a virus, it might be too late by that point.

Warmest regards, Jeff Moss

Best regards, Jeff

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 18, 2008 at 6:56:53 pm

The problem with that method is that I don't think mac virus software will catch a lot of those pc viruses. I had anti virus software on my mac the first year I had one and it NEVER once found a thing. My opinion of mac anti virus software is that they nothing but feel good fluff. I don't think they do a dang thing at all.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]