FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal Media Hard drive vs. External

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cmc2008
Internal Media Hard drive vs. External
on Dec 18, 2007 at 2:31:59 pm

I am shopping for a Media drive to use with my mac for large editing projects. I am wondering if I should get a second internal drive or an external drive.

A ew years ago i had a mac with two internal drives and my start up drive collapsed and the second drive did as well. The tech who worked on my computer told me that if one internal drive crashes the second drive crashes as well.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is it safer to hve project media on an external drive or is it ok to have an internal?

(I'd prefer internal due to cost and convenience of storage.)

Thanks for any help.

Clark

Return to posts index

Chris Mackenzie
Re: Internal Media Hard drive vs. External
on Jan 1, 2008 at 7:25:05 pm

What computer do you have? If it is a G5 or newer I'd just put another internal drive in. That would give you the best performance for the money and no, 1 drive failing won't take down the other. In older computers that use Master/Slave setups on the same bus it is possible for one drive to take the other offline if the electronics fry, but once you removed the bad drive and made sure the remaining drive was set to master you would be fine (just so you didn't have it striped together).

If you have something older than a G5 like a dual 1.25ghz and want the best performance I'd get a SATA PCI card (if you have the slot open) and put a SATA drive either internally or in a cheapie case (or buy it already together). SATA drives are really cheap right now and the card and case would not add that much to the price, but the performance is worth it.

Aloha,

-Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]