FORUMS: list search recent posts

PLEASE HELP! - DVCPro HD material not playing in Quicktime on Mac Pro - Intel Problem???

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roziegee
PLEASE HELP! - DVCPro HD material not playing in Quicktime on Mac Pro - Intel Problem???
on Nov 19, 2007 at 5:59:46 pm

Hi

I've just upgraded to a Mac Pro from a G4, am editing in DVCPro HD (720P60), with material shot on a panasonic Varicam, and have no problems working with the source files in FCP 5.0.4 but cannot play the same files in Quicktime.

When I attempt to play any DVCPro HD material in Quicktime, I get a white screen with audio only playing, anda message saying that the required component is not available and directing me to an apple webpage which does not appear to have any relevant downloads on it.

I have the DVCProHD codec installed in the Library/Quicktime folder, so that's not the issue. It seems that the problem may be in moving from a PowerPC based mac to an Intel based one.

Apparently the DVCPro HD Codec created by, I believe Panasonic, to work with FCP, only works in PowerPC mode. I have 30 hours of DVCPro HD media which I am cutting with in FCP, and need to be able to export and play in Quicktime as quickly and with as little compression loss as possible.

Any ideas as to how I can achieve this would be most gratefully received.

Rose

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: PLEASE HELP! - DVCPro HD material not playing in Quicktime on Mac Pro - Intel Problem???
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:07:40 pm

Long answer is that your version of Final Cut is not compatible with Intel machines. You've got it working, mostly, but you're going to continue to run into things that don't work, like this.

5.1 was the first intel compatible version, but if you're going to pay to upgrade anyway, you might want to just upgrade to version 6 (Final Cut Studio 2).

So you need to upgrade in the long run, or you'll keep having problems.

BUT, for a short answer, try this: Go into your application folder and select Quicktime. Hit COMMAND-i. In the info window, select "Open using Rosetta." That will open Quicktime in PPC emulation mode, and there's a chance it might run the PPC codec that way. You'll be getting slower performance, so un-check it when you're done, but it could at least let you play the files. (Just guessing, I've never tried it.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]