FORUMS: list search recent posts

permission repair and address book in leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris newman
permission repair and address book in leopard
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:03:22 pm

i just upgraded my imac G5 to leopard (2gb ram). things went pretty well but there was one thing that seemed weird. in tiger, repairing permissions took maybe 15 seconds. in leopard, it took about 15 minutes. but it was odd in that about 14minutes and 58 seconds of that 15 minutes was the barber pole progress bar, then after about 15 minutes the normal progress bar zoomed through it in a couple of seconds. i thought perhaps that the initial permissions would take long because i installed a new OS but every time i run repair permissions it takes this long. now i know there is debate as to whether or not you need to repair permissions often, i am on the side of doing it often and it has resulted in fewer problems for me. but if it takes this long, and that time period is normal in leopard, that's gonna suck. any suggestions?

one other thing. i was able to migrate all of my email to mail 3.0 but i was unable to migrate my address book information. i thought i found where all of that was stored (on my tiger backup) and i moved it to the same place in leopard, but address book was still empty. the info i found was in application support > address book and that's where i put in in leopard. is that where address book stores it's info? is it elsewhere? what do i have to do to get all of that info into leopards address book?

thanks

Return to posts index

CJ Hunt
Re: permission repair and address book in leopard
on Oct 30, 2007 at 12:27:49 am

Hey Chris,

I have an 8 core with 8g and it still took (& takes) along time for permissions repair... hmmmm... maybe it just has a lot more territory to cover?

Re: Address book- mine was web based-exported a vcard file- address book had no problem with that

I started with cloning my old OX to an outside HD..., then did an erase and install, all fresh per the Shane Ross article...

no problems so far... starting to import new HDV Doc project

Good luck with all that!
CJ

CJH3 Productions, LLC
Current Project: perfecthumandiet.com

Snail mail:
CJH3 Productions, LLC
PO Box 31791
San Francisco, CA 94131-0791

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved