FORUMS: list search recent posts

POWER PROBLEM COMPUTER WON'T SHUT DOWN

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmcel23
POWER PROBLEM COMPUTER WON'T SHUT DOWN
on Sep 6, 2007 at 8:05:03 pm

I hope this is the right place for this. I am running a 1.25 Dual G4, RAM is maxed out I think 2gb on it. I have two monitors. One a CRT one a 19" LCD Vision monitor. Ever since I hooked up the newer Vision monitor, the computer in my house will not shut down. If I try to shutdown, it just restarts, even when I remove the Vision monitor from the equation. Every time. When I took it to Melrose Mac, they told me they didn't have that problem. It would shut down on command for them. Any idea what could cause this. It used to run in my house fine, is there such a thing as "wierd power/electricity" that is running at my place? Or is there a hidden setting on my Mac that I'm just missing, causing it to restart automatically? ANy ideas would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: POWER PROBLEM COMPUTER WON'T SHUT DOWN
on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:01:25 am

Have you repaired disk permissions?
What version of the OS are you running?
Have you reset the PMU?
Have you reset the PRAM?

You haven't told us what you have tried. You could also try taking it to an actual Apple Store, I have always found there geniuses much more helpful then anyone at a place that is just an authorized service center.

Return to posts index

dmcel23
on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:16:46 am

Sorry,

-I have repaired disk permissions.
-I'm running 10.4.10
-Melrose mac reset the PMU.

And I have not tried the last part, how would I do that?
Thanks, for the quick response!

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:52:43 am

to reset the pram start up the computer and hold down command+option+p+r and let it chime 3 times

Douse it happen when you plug it any anywhere or only at your current location - the reason I ask this is because it didn't happen at the place you took it to.

If it happens other places then create a new user and see if it happens from there, if it douse then it is ether the OS or the hardware.

To eliminate the OS reinstall it.

if if continues to happen then take it in, and like I said I have always found the the geniuses at the Apple Stores know much more then, people at places not owned by Apple.

Return to posts index

dmcel23
on Sep 7, 2007 at 2:24:11 am

thanks much appreciated

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 14, 2007 at 7:09:34 pm

Also, how are you sending the "Shut Down" command to the computer?

From the apple menu?

With the keyboard?

With the button on the computer?

It's not likely, but sometimes buttons get stuck =)

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]