FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you know if your HD's are dying?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrianT
How do you know if your HD's are dying?
on Jul 26, 2007 at 4:17:08 pm

I've got a Kano Technologies 4 Bay eSata Drive enclosure with 4 Seagate 250GB drives striped as one drive. Everything has been working great for about a year now...Recently, I've noticed that at times my Mac hangs up/times out/pauses. For instance, I'll go to open a file in a software program and when the browser window comes up it takes a minute or two before the contents will show. Normally, they come up almost immediately.

Second, from time to time you hear the sound of my hard drives clicking as if they are cycling down.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is there a software program to check the drives? Disk Utility is very limited and shows all my drives are okay.

SETTINGS: Mac OSX 10.4.9, drives are checked to 'put hard drives to sleep when possible', processor performance is HIGH.

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: How do you know if your HD's are dying?
on Jul 26, 2007 at 6:30:39 pm

[BrianT] "SETTINGS: Mac OSX 10.4.9, drives are checked to 'put hard drives to sleep when possible'"

That's your problem right there. You DON'T want your drives to go to sleep, which is why you hear them spinning down and why you have to wait for them to spin up when accessing them.

Uncheck the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" box. Honestly, the constant spinup/spindown cycles that your drives are currently going through will probably cause them more wear in the long run than letting them run constantly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]