FORUMS: list search recent posts

alert sounds

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris newman
alert sounds
on Jun 27, 2007 at 10:03:04 pm

i was just wondering if anyone knew where some of the alert sounds in Mac OSX were stored. i'm not talking about the alert sounds you pick in the system preferences, i'm talking more about the blips that play when you increase or decrease the volume from the keyboard or the start up chime or the poof sound when you drag something out of the dock.

does anyone know where on the system those sounds are stored and if so, do you know if/how you can change them?

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Don't Know, But...
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:35:15 pm

I don't know the answer to any of these, but I CAN tell you that the startup sound isn't gonna change. It's built into the hardware as it is activated before the computer even boots up. There might be some way to disable it (I don't knwo) but I'm sure you can't change it to something else.

Anyway, I can't help you with the rest, but I figured I'd throw that bit of info out there before you spend too long looking for an answer on the startup chime.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: alert sounds
on Jun 29, 2007 at 1:19:31 am

[chris newman] "does anyone know where on the system those sounds are stored and if so, do you know if/how you can change them?
"

These are "invisible' files hidden inside various frameworks and resources folders in /System/Library.
There are some utilities to tweak various alert sounds, search VersionTracker.com for "system sounds" and a few results pop up.
Since these are at System level, they might be OK until the next OS update, then be broken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]