FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do I find out what files are hogging up space on my hard drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
how do I find out what files are hogging up space on my hard drive
on May 18, 2007 at 1:03:35 pm

Hello all

running a 15 inch intel imac (1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo) under OS 10.4.9 the hard drive is 152 gigs right now I only have 4.57 gigs available and I cannot figure out why

here is what I figure

I'll give the OS 2 gigs of space

I have final cut studio (FCP/DVDSP/LIVETYPE/SoundtrackPro/Motion, etc) that's about 15 gigs

Microsoft Office is installed as well ...I'll give that 2 gigs (generous)

right now I have a video project on the local drive that is taking up 57 gigs of space

by my calculations I should have at least 65 more gigs of space

I normally create folders for my FCP projects and set FCP prefs to point at that folder thus the cache files are all placed in that folder, once a job is complete I trash the folder

so my question is ...how can I find out the sizes and locations of various files and folders on my machine so that I can determine who is taking up all the space on the drive and if I can get rid of the file/folder

thanks in advance for any help

take care
Todd George

Todd George
Instructional Media Services
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH 44118

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
Re: how do I find out what files are hogging up space on my hard drive
on May 18, 2007 at 1:38:02 pm

Hi,
You'll find that there are gigs upon gigs taken by iDVD themes, Garage Band sound files etc.
To see your whole HD and remove what you don't want/need check out the Disk Inventory X. http://www.derlien.com/
Please use wisely!!!! It shows ALL files incl. hidded and system.

IQ=0

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on May 18, 2007 at 1:42:47 pm

Somethning you can look at are Final Cut's render files for your projects. They keep building up forever...the old ones are never erased. You can trash those files and then re-render the project. It should save some space.

I'm sure that's part of the 57 GB you already accounted for so that doesn't answer your main question, but it might help you clear up some space.

Another place to check: iPhoto. Look in the trash can that's inside of iPhoto. Is it full of stuff? That's a place files can hide for quite some time before people notice them.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 18, 2007 at 3:57:47 pm

Maybe it's a build-up of "Recovered Files" in your trash? (see earlier post)

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on May 30, 2007 at 2:11:32 pm

An easy way is to open your hard drive in list mode, use Apple-J to bring up the options and check the box labeled Calculate all sizes. It takes some time, but it helps you see exactly where all your GB are and leaves the hidden directories alone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]