FORUMS: list search recent posts

external hard drive permissions issue

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
external hard drive permissions issue
on May 16, 2007 at 4:32:52 am

External hard drives attached to Emacs. How do I limit access to certain user accounts for specific files/folders/Imovie projects on the external drives? This was easy on internal drive but I can't seem to set the permissions properly on external.

Get info. Unclick lock. Put in admin password if asked. Scroll down to user I want to own file/project. Reboot into another account. Every account can read and write. Each account is listed as "owner" regardless of above resetting.

If I set it to 'no access' and it takes, the drive now doesn't show up on that computer at all. I was able to reset this mistake by rebooting into a different start-up system.

The Imovie projects I am trying to do this for were created on another external drive and then copied onto these.

OS 10.4 on all computers. Thanks.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: external hard drive permissions issue
on May 16, 2007 at 5:32:21 am

hello...

ya - by default, os x treats mounted external drives as owned by whomever is logged in at the time...

you can override this default by checking "ignore ownership on this volume" in the ownership and permissions...see here for more info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh670.html

this will ensure that your permissions are preserved across logins...

sitruc

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 6:37:49 pm

So I check "ignore ownership." (I've tried both).

Then I select the folder/project in question and do what?

You can

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 16, 2007 at 6:52:34 pm

hello...

without knowing your specific user and groups settings, it's hard for me to say...but the overall user and group permissions in os x are explained very nicely here:

http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/AdvancedUnix/ugp/index.ws

basically each file has an owner, group and "everybody else" setting - most likely, all your users are in one of 2 groups - staff or admin. if you set something to be visible to just you and your group, most everybody will still be able to see it...therefore, you'd want to just make the file owner the only one that can see the file. to add a further wrinkle, there is read, write and execute, but it's probably best to just peruse the above article and see if that makes it any less confusing...note that it does focus on actual unix commands instead of gui controls, but the concepts in there are in the permissions dialog, so it should help make it all make a bit more sense...

sitruc

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 7:15:49 pm

Ok. That helped a little.

On this particular computer, I have the following user accounts:
P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, and my account which is the only admin account, teacher.

So if I have an Imovie folder on an external drive and I want to assign it to be read only by and written to only by P1, I would
Check ignore ownership on the external drive.

I would sign in as P1.
Then I select the Imovie project.

You can: read and write
Owner: P1
Group: staff
Others: no access.

Would this be right?

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 16, 2007 at 7:27:13 pm

hello...

[eyecamiam] "On this particular computer, I have the following user accounts:
P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, and my account which is the only admin account, teacher.

So if I have an Imovie folder on an external drive and I want to assign it to be read only by and written to only by P1"

in this case, you would set the owner permissions to full "read/write", the group permissions for staff would be either "read" or "no access" (depending on how secure you want to be) and the "others" would just be "no access"...that should in theory get you where you need to go if you have that other ignore ownership checkbox set correctly...

sitruc

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 7:53:44 pm

I changed it to staff and no access.

On the ignore check box: If I check it, none of these setting stick. If I uncheck it then i get the negative sign for the Imovie folder and under info and permissions P2 will, for example, say "no access" but it opens anyway.

Do I need to click the apply to enclosed items? after checking or unchecking "ignore." You said I should check it right?

Does all this need to be done in a certain order?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 16, 2007 at 8:17:27 pm

hello...

i don't have an external drive on my mac, so i cannot currently do any testing on this to verify, but yes - apply to all enclosed items if you want to and no - order doesn't matter...

and ignore should not be checked if you want to follow this model of individual permissions on each file on the drive...

sitruc

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 8:49:37 pm

I've been checking and unchecking that option anyway. Unchecked it let's me set all as we discussed. Checking it means the log-in-ed account owns all. As set unchecked: The Imovie icon turns to a folder with a red negative under other accounts. However, it opens anyway. I will try all this on another computer. A bug? I'll also try another type of file.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 16, 2007 at 8:54:56 pm

hello...

[eyecamiam] "As set unchecked: The Imovie icon turns to a folder with a red negative under other accounts. However, it opens anyway. I will try all this on another computer."

if you have it to read access for others or the group, then they can open (i.e. read it) - if you set it to no access, they should not even be able to open it or do anything in it at all...

sitruc

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 9:03:58 pm

It is set to no access. Under get info/ permissions under the other accounts, it is listed as no access, yet it opens anyway and changes can be made. I tried a text edit file. Gave it the same P1 permissions. I tried to open it under my admin account and got a message that said I do not have the proper permissions. This seems like an Imovie issue. Maybe if i look at the contents of the project (I forget the command for this) I can remove permission for all enclosed.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 16, 2007 at 5:39:36 am

What I would do is use disk utility to create a blank disk image on the drive and select encrypted on it, when it goes to create it, you are prompted to give it a password. The disk image cannot be mounted with out the password (so make sure you uncheck the box that says remember password). Make sure that you give the disk image plenty of space for your video. Just make sure that you unmount the disk image when you are finished.

I do this as a way to keep certain files secure like financial files, a document containing all my user names and passwords for different sites, like the bank, car-payment site, credit card site, etc because of course every place has different requirements for user names and passwords so you can never use the same one on all of them. So now I only have to remember only one password.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on May 16, 2007 at 9:19:58 pm

Thank you. This could come in very handy. I'll give it a try. It's hard with video because it can eat a lot of space quickly and it's hard to know in advance how big a project might become. Still, if all the media is there I could just leave extra space for transitions, music, titles, etc.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
THE WORK AROUND
on May 18, 2007 at 2:25:06 am

I think that Imovie has a bug in it that does not allow permissions to be followed when stored on an external drive. So what I did was create folders on the external drive and assigned them to the different user accounts. Those permissions held and it will actually be easier since I won't have to set permissions for each project. Just drag them or save them to the folder and no other account can even open the folder.

In case anyone has the need or I need to remember this next year:

First highlight drive and uncheck ignore ownership.

Open account that will own folder. Create a folder/highlight folder/Get info/you can: read and write, owner: (the active account), Group: Staff, Access: no access or, in my case, I chose Group: admin Access: read and write, Other: no access. Click on apply to enclosed items.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: THE WORK AROUND update
on May 21, 2007 at 7:20:51 pm

After following these steps on several computers, I found that the settings held when applied from the admin account but not always from the user account (even though you are asked to enter admin password).

So booted from the admin account:

First highlight drive and uncheck ignore ownership.

Create a folder for a usr account/highlight folder/Get info/you can: read and write, owner: (the active account), Group: Staff, Access: no access or, in my case, I chose Group: admin Access: read and write, Other: no access. Click on apply to enclosed items.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]