FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac workstations.. Windows server..

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fongaboo
Mac workstations.. Windows server..
on May 2, 2007 at 4:57:04 am

OK we are the sole department in my operation that use Macs in a company who's otherwise an all Windows operation. Our IT people hold up garlic and crosses to Macs, so I am the defacto support and maintainance person for these machines.

We use a Windows File Server to store graphic and animation files that we use in Final Cut Pro. Instead of consulting with us and perhaps getting us an XSan or an EditShare unit (Linux-based, but designed for FCP), they went ahead and got an updated off-the-shelf HP Windows server and then lauded it for its storage and speed.

That's all well and great, but they never considered how things will work in terms of the two OS's and filesystems interacting. I already know just how well it will work. :-P

The previous server was fine, because it was only fast enough to serve up graphic and animation files in the form of uncompressed .TIF and .MOV files that originated from Windows workstations.

But now they have the intent to let us archive whole Final Cut Projects along with video files to this new server. But the first problem that comes to mind, is that FCP will write the Quicktime files it creates without a file extension (ie. .MOV) and then if another Mac tries to copy over the project locally, the Mac won't understand what kind of file it is (unless you manually rename it).

My question is.. are there any solutions out there that might allow us to still gracefully make use of this server? Perhaps:

-some software for Windows to more gracefully deal with files created by a remote Mac when subsquently serving them up to another Mac?

-some software that would allow Windows to natively read/write to a hard drive or partition formatted with the HFS+ filesystem?

-some software that would allow FreeBSD to natively deal with an HFS+-formatted hard drive or partition? (I was previously a FreeBSD server admin and still run one personally; the idea here would be to convince IT to install FreeBSD on the server..)

P.S. To clarify, even the IT people don't expect that we will be able to open FCP projects directly from this server. I didn't want to give the impression that I expected that to be possible with an off-the-shelf Windows server. The idea here is merely to archive projects in a 'near-line' type functionality.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Mac workstations.. Windows server..
on May 2, 2007 at 5:49:32 am

if all you want to do is archive, I would just simply right click/control click on the folder that you want to archive and select create archive. This will create a zip file of that folder, giving you a single self contained package thus avoiding the extensions problem.

Better yet tell them the at you must have the new Final Cut Server software it runs on both Mac & Windows.

Return to posts index

Fongaboo
on May 2, 2007 at 5:53:31 am

http://www.apple.com/finalcutserver/

This site says the client software runs on Windows, but the server software has to run on a Mac server.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 2, 2007 at 5:58:25 am

So tell them you want a mac server also.

Return to posts index

Fongaboo
on May 2, 2007 at 6:19:07 am

Well I am gonna try to put up one more fight. But I don't think they will care.

How about DarwinOS running on this server.. Maybe in VM Is that possible?

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 2, 2007 at 6:24:56 am

Just make sure you let them know that it was them who jumped the gun and purchased some thing that was not a good solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]