Dumb questrion about upgrade path's

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
Dumb questrion about upgrade path's
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:16:24 pm

Hello all

Need to ask this question as I have software from a few different vendors

right now I am using the Final Cut Pro Suite on my G5 and G4 powerbook both are the older chipset processors (I think Motarola was making the processors back then)

anyway

I have software like Autodesk's combustion 3 and Cleaner 6 both which are OSX not universal binaries however I know combustin has a universial binary install for ver4 (I haven't look into cleaner yet)

my question is this upgrades are considerably cheaper than full install disks but down the road I will eventually get an intel based mac and I am wondering if I will have trouble trying to install software that has to upgrade from one chip set to another ...I know somesoftware allows you to just type in the serial number of the older version to complete the install but murphy's law being what it is I honestly cannot rememer the upgrade paths for all of my software

so I am looking for advice and maybe some first hand experience in this area do I buy upgrades or just go with full software installs

by the way here's the software I use

Final Cut Suite (I know I can get a universal installof this)
Shake4 (already universal)
Cleaner 6x
Combustion 3x
Lightwave 8.5

thanks in advance for any help

take care

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Dumb questrion about upgrade path's
on Mar 30, 2007 at 5:26:24 pm

Those programs should be able to instal on an Intel Mac...they just probably won't run very well. But that's fine, you only need them to run long enough to be upgraded. I think they'd be up to that task.

So yes, I think the upgrade path is fine for you now and for the future.

Return to posts index

wuzelwazel
Re: Dumb questrion about upgrade path's
on Mar 31, 2007 at 5:40:04 am

[Todd George] "I am wondering if I will have trouble trying to install software that has to upgrade from one chip set to another"

I would remind you that you can install PPC OS X applications on your (hypothetical) Mac Pro via Rosetta and then upgrade them to the Universal Binary as long as this is an option from the vendor =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]