FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 DV files and QuickTime

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StormDave
16:9 DV files and QuickTime
on Feb 19, 2007 at 9:07:56 am

I wonder when apple is going to fix this. On the Windows/Mac version of QTPro, all QTDV files that are 16:9 are displayed incorrectly, unless you import into FCP/AE/etc. If anyone knows if this ever is going to be fixed, I'd like to know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: 16:9 DV files and QuickTime
on Feb 19, 2007 at 10:52:05 am

From the lafcpug

If your issue is one of a squashed image...

It is most likely because you have an 16:9 FHA (Full Height Anamorphic) movie file.

This means that a 16:9 widescreen video has been recorded onto a 4:3 format in order to be transmitted via broadcast or played on DVD (or other formats that support anamorphic widescreen)

You can adjust the display aspect ratio (scaled video settings) for output from Quicktime as long as you have Quicktime Pro registered either temporarily or permanently.

Return to posts index

StormDave
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:39:29 am

Thanks alot Danny for the quick response.

Ok this worked.

The downside is as you said I have to save a new file or save this file, but I think it would mess it up if I try to import it into FCP etc.

How come FCP or even After Effects finds the proper flags for these files and not QT player? When I play the original file, it says "720x480 (854x480)" during playback.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

StormDave
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:41:13 am

Oh I forgot one more thing...since I'm mostly a Windows user, all MSDV AVI's with a widescreen flag play fine in Windows Media Player and import with the proper settings in NLE's/Compositing apps. How come it's not the same for QuickTime DV files?

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Feb 20, 2007 at 1:11:08 pm

It's a bug, expect it to be fixed when Leopard is released.

Return to posts index

StormDave
on Feb 21, 2007 at 1:27:52 am

Thanks.

Hopefully the Windows version of QuickTime fixes this as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]