FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want to cut!!!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
IQ Nill
I want to cut!!!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 1:44:26 pm

Hi  gang,
In OSX 10.4.8 (MBP) the CUT (apple+X) in Finder is permanently greyed out.
Is it a setting? Is then drag and drop, the only way move files around?

TIA

iq0

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: I want to cut!!!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 10:24:35 pm

Yeah, I think the reason is because that using "cut and paste" like that would result in the Finder erasing a file from your computer while you are not actively looking at it. I think they decided that was a bad thing for the Finder to be able to do.

So...I'm not really sure WHY it's in the menu at all. I'm sure there's some time you can use it, but I'm not sure when.

BUT, you might find this interesting:

When dragging a file to another folder on the same hard drive, it MOVES it (copies it to the new location and removes the original). When dragging a file to a different hard drive, it COPIES it (makes a copy and leaves the original).

Ok, now here's the fun part...hold down the 'option' key before clicking the file to REVERSE both of those behaviors. So while holding 'option' same-drive copying now copies instead of moves and different-drive copying now moves instead of copies.

Hopefully that info is of some use to you.

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:40:37 am

Thanks Jeff.
I did work out the OPTION trick.
It baffles me why would there be a menu which doesn't work - strange stuff indeed.
I am fairly to OSX (used 7 to 9, went PC and MBP) and there are a lot of things in it which do surprise me a lot, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with them.

cheers.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Sort of Related
on Feb 8, 2007 at 7:06:52 pm

This has nothing to do with your original question but your last post reminded me of this:

http://daringfireball.net/2005/04/replace

Another little quirk for Windows to Mac swtichers to watch out for!

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
on Feb 9, 2007 at 1:24:33 am

Goodness Gracious.... THIS CAN'T BE!!!

Thanks A LOT for this post.
I feel a bit numb and sweaty now. I have been preparing a lot of teaching materials over the last week and doing just that - "Replacing" folders, hoping the files get updated and others just sit there as they were.
Can't wait to get back to the MAC and get really panicked.
This would mean that I have potentialy lost a lot of work - hope my daily backup has the files!!!!

So what's the go?
Do I have to remember which files were updated and select those ONLY and dunk them into the folder replacing the old ones?
How very tiresome and inconvinient.

Is there a way to use the Automator or a script or a smart folder to do a proper version control and not loose my work? A smart folder I guess with "updated today" setting...

It is a very steep learning curve switching to the "user friendly OS" ;-)

thanks again

IQ

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Mar 4, 2007 at 2:14:42 am

To me, replace means just that...replace.

Do you mean when you replace a folder, that files inside the folder to be replaced would stay there (so long as they don't have the same name as any of the files in the incoming folder)?

To me, this is confusing. If I want to replace a folder to update it, I'd already have all the current files that I need in it. I definitely wouldn't replace a folder and hope that some files in the replaced folder would stick around. But I've never been a windows user.

Maybe what would be nice, then, is a merge/replace feature in OSX. But it's more logical to me the way it works right now.

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
on Mar 5, 2007 at 4:22:07 am

The nice thing about the Windows folder replace is that it will ask about the folder , and then about updating files within the folder, you can choose "yes to all" "no to all" or yes/no for each of the files. that way if, say you have a folder with several files in it on a USB stick and two computers, you can work on both and just dump data to the stick when moving about, and the files keep getting updated.
In OSX, you have to hand-pick the files on which you want to work and move them about individually - much more time consuming and requires more thinking and planning.
Also in a situation lik this, in OSX if you list your files, and you may have a copy on a stick and the HD, the list may tell you that both of the files were modified "Today" - very bloody cute, but completely useless, I know about get info and other listing option, but is there a "professional" setting in the OSX?
Why can't I "get info" from the Open or Save dialog boxes?
As much as I've grown to like (a lot in fact) the OSX, the file management is very basic. Good for iWHATEVER users, but I find it childish.
For example, if I list files in a folder (through "find") and delete one of them, it still shows up, despite the fact that on "get info" it says it is in Trash - WHY!!!!! It should at least show a different icon clearly showing that the file IS in trash... the list is long.

And BTW, is there a symbol for ALL, like the DOS *?

If I want to find all files containing the word "film" in the file name, Find list all files that may have this word within the text in them and you end up wading through hundreds of files fo no reason.

cheers

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Mar 5, 2007 at 4:43:22 am

[IQ Nill] "Good for iWHATEVER users, but I find it childish."

We can't all be so great, but iWhatever...

Again, I think it's about workflow. I personally find windoze file management to be clunky.

[IQ Nill] "Also in a situation lik this, in OSX if you list your files, and you may have a copy on a stick and the HD, the list may tell you that both of the files were modified "Today" - very bloody cute, but completely useless, I know about get info and other listing option, but is there a "professional" setting in the OSX"

I'm not sure what you mean by "professional?" What profession...file management? In this case, I wouldn't even look at date/time modified, I'd look at file size. But, I'm probably doing different things. A different way.

[IQ Nill] "For example, if I list files in a folder (through "find") and delete one of them, it still shows up, despite the fact that on "get info" it says it is in Trash - WHY!!!!! It should at least show a different icon clearly showing that the file IS in trash... the list is long."

It's pretty simple. The path shows...it's in the trash. What do you want, an animated trash can? I don't mean to be sarcastic, but man, I've never had these problems and I've never had a problem backing up and managing files and I'm working with hundreds of hours of video, graphics files, etc, etc, on several systems. If your "list is so long" and OSX is so childish, why do you bother? Sounds to me like windows is better suited for you.

BTW, I recommend you look into something like QuickSilver and a simple backup utility like the free LaCie one I've heard about (but never used).

[IQ Nill] "If I want to find all files containing the word "film" in the file name, Find list all files that may have this word within the text in them and you end up wading through hundreds of files fo no reason."

This one really baffles me. What would you rather? That the search DOESN'T effectively search your files? That's strange. I love how I can find stuff I'm looking for in seconds. OSX dishes it up for me, nicely organized by format. Simple.

Although, I'd probably be a little more creative in my search. Instead of searching everything that has text "DVD" in it, I'd probably try adding a keyword that relates specifically to what I'm looking for, which would work fine for me b/c I think ahead when I name things, and if I haven't, I can at least figure out how to narrow it down. I'd much rather have OSX give me everything than the OS try to figure things out for me and get it wrong. If I wanted that, I'd switch to windoze.

;O)

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
on Mar 5, 2007 at 1:38:13 pm

[reel2reel] "I wouldn't even look at date/time modified, I'd look at file size."

well, yes, assuming of course that you somehow know that the file you may be working on, has increased or decreased in size, which in my case is not that easy to know. I'd find it very strange if anyone said that having (if only as an option) more information in open / save dialog boxes is a stupid idea.

[reel2reel] "What profession...file management?"

And which computer based profession doesn't require file management?

[reel2reel] "It's pretty simple. The path shows...it's in the trash."

Yes, but, if I want to see all images with a name of ie. "shot5_" in a folder "site shots", if I choose to delete "shot5_3" it is NO LONGER in this folder (it's in the TRASH) and should be removed from the list. The find bar clearly states that I am looking in "site shots" and yet the images in the Trash are still being displayed - I fail to follow the logic. And no, I don't want an animated trash icon, but if aliases can have a little arrow added to the icon, would it be crazy to expect that a file which IS NOT in the folder I am looking in should be marked as being in trash?

[reel2reel] "What would you rather? That the search DOESN'T effectively search your files?"

No, thank you. But an option to search for file names ONLY, or names AND content would be nice. I have quite an incredible number of text based files on the HD, and believe me, the number of files I have to wade through on every search is crazy. I've started setting up smart folders to filter searches, and even there I hit some problems.

[reel2reel] "If your "list is so long" and OSX is so childish, why do you bother?"

Oh, that's a simple one to answer. I've been asked to asses the advantages (or dis... as the case may be) of different OS options for the future of the place i work for. We have a few thousands of staff over 50K customers, and 7K computers, so I'd rather be critical and have a good look at which way we'll go.

And if you want to see something funny in OSX, have a go at the following:
Go to the Spotlight, type something you have a lot of (.jpg or .mov) wait for all files to show up, click "Show All", select them all and press APPLE+i to get info to see how much space is taken by those files - enjoy!

;-)

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Feb 19, 2007 at 5:42:20 pm

Cut, paste, etc works in finder when renaming file names. Click on a file, click again, and the name is highlighted. Once in this state, you can select portions of the name and use cut and paste functions to rename it. Works great if you want to rename a whole group of related files or copy a portion of one file name to another.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]