FORUMS: list search recent posts

Date and time settings

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Poisson
Date and time settings
on Feb 3, 2007 at 1:49:42 pm

Hey,

On my G4 1.42 dual running 10.4.8, every time I turn it on the date alert comes up, and it's thrown me back to December 31st, 1969, 5:00 PM, always the same date and time. The alert says my computer's clock is set to some time before March 2001. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Date and time settings
on Feb 3, 2007 at 3:05:26 pm

There is a small battery on the logic board that gives just enough power to keep the date and time sounds like it needs to be replaces.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Feb 3, 2007 at 3:50:05 pm

A Mac FAQ. It's your Logic Board battery.

Has been available at RadioShack, P/N 23-026 $12.99 or more.
Original Tadrian TL-2150 from many onlline retailers.
NuPower $4.99 from OWC.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Feb 3, 2007 at 10:21:38 pm

Okay, that makes sense, except, I just bought one of those batteries at Radio Shack about two months ago, what could be exhausting it so soon?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Feb 3, 2007 at 11:39:52 pm

Any idea how long the battery was clipped to the card rack at RadioShack?
I suspect they may not refresh that stock too often.
When you're done for the day/week, and if you "Shut Down," do you then physically disconnect your Mac from AC power (kill a plug strip switch, a breaker, unplug it from the wall, switch off a UPS)? The battery is not one that gets charged, but my understanding (though I could have a mis-understanding) is that if the machine is not plugged in to active AC mains, the logic board is always drawing current from the battery (to retain memory for certain settings), but not so if it is plugged in, even when the computer has been powered off via Shut Down. If this is what's happening, battery life will be greatly shortened.

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Mar 4, 2007 at 2:17:47 am

Try resetting your PRAM.

Shutdown, then startup while holding (requires some finger stretching) Command-Option-P-R

See if this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]