FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing hard drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy mac
Replacing hard drive
on Jan 10, 2007 at 4:07:55 pm

I have spent the past hour or more on Apple's website searching for info on replacing the hard drive in a PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 ghz. Also, no info in the manual for this.
First, can it be done? What drive do I install and where can I find instructions on how to do it?
I currently have 75 gigs, and need a larger drive. This powerbook is used on the road with clients so taking along an external hard drive is not convenient.
Thank you for any help!

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Replacing hard drive
on Jan 11, 2007 at 12:48:36 am

Hard drives in apple laptops are NOT user installable (except for the macbook. You need some one who is certified in Apple laptop repair to do it. I have heard that Apple will only replace it if it is not working and will not do upgrades to internal drives. There are many small portable hard drives that are powered by the computer. They are going to be your best option.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:32:01 am

[zrb123] "Hard drives in apple laptops are NOT user installable"

I've replaced hard drives in G3s and G4 Powerbooks with no problem. There are some excellent repair guides on the web, including this sight:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

It's really very easy, but take all of the safety and anti-static precautions called for.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:14:19 am

if your computer has any warranty on it you will probably void it

Return to posts index

jimmy mac
Re: Thank you!
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:59:23 pm

Thank you for the info!