FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Script... anyone know if this is possible?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Solorio
Apple Script... anyone know if this is possible?
on Dec 29, 2006 at 11:29:50 am

So I'd like to do the following but I don't know if Apple Script can actually do this as I don't know what limitations it has. Here's what I'd like to do with a dedicated computer...

- A user submits a form from the website
- Email comes in (will have a dedicated email address for this task)
- In the body of the email are the submitted form contents
- We are only concerned with one element in the form

** This is where Apple Script would kick in after it sees there's an email **

- It copies the element of interest from the email form
- Go to Flash (should already be open)
- It pastes the data into a scpepfic location in a predetermined Flash file
- Flash then exports the file as a SWF file
- The SWF file then gets emailed to the person that originally sent the form from the website

Can Apple Script do *all* of this? If not is there an application that can? Also, we can just as well do this on a Windows machine if need be, but we have a couple of old extra Macs laying around that could "have a job" again. I'm not necessarily asking *how* to do it, but rather, if each bullet point above is possible to automate so a humanoid doesn't have to. We're used to a few scripting languages (JavaScript, ActionScript, PHP, Lingo, etc.) so learning Apple Sctipt isn't an issue, but we don't want to waste our time learning it if what we want to accomplish can't be done by it.

Thanks!

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Apple Script... anyone know if this is possible?
on Dec 30, 2006 at 12:08:28 am

What a cool post, Marco. But, no, I have no idea if AppleScript can do all this....but I enjoyed the idea that someone wants to try.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 30, 2006 at 12:31:21 am

hello...

up to the flash part should be pretty straightforward - there are a ton of applescripts that do thinngs with mail, so you should be able to cobble something together from examples via google...

editing the flash file should be ok too - the tricky part could be controlling the flash app itself to do something, although i don't think it's out of the range of possibility...

so short answer - sure, why not. how to do it? google is your friend... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Dec 30, 2006 at 2:45:40 am

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, if I get the notion that these functions can be done in Apple Script, then we'll definitely be using Google as our tech guide, LOL.

So one last question... It appears Apple Script can record functions that you do on the computer. If so, can you take that recorded data (from Apple Script) and break it apart and alter it? IOW, does it save it as actual script that you can edit after you record it?

Thanks again guys!

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]