FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linksys Router with mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ijwood
Linksys Router with mac
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:36:36 am

I am at a standstill in my attempts to instill and set up my new wireless network. I have a mac and i bought a linksys wrt54g wireless router and i cant get it working, at all. I am trying to set this up and it is not directly plugged into the cable modem but through another router, is that a problem. Also i cant install it because the cd wont work on a mac. If anyone knows how to get through this and/or has had experience with this type of set up please lend some advice it is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Linksys Router with mac
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:15:41 pm

Does its paperwork include any kind of IP address? Usually I control routers by typnig its address into a web browser and control it from there.

Or have you done that and that doesn't work either?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Linksys Router with mac
on Dec 4, 2006 at 6:53:02 pm

Your router should be plug and play, even if you do not have the cd. But you mention you are running the Linksys through another router as well. Problem there is, both routers are fighting to distribute the IP address's to your network and confusing things. You need to log into your linksys and change it from a gateway to a router, so it gets its IP address from the first router. Can you just swap out your old router for the new linksys? Or do you have a bunch of computers already wired on the old router? Depending on your ISP, you will need to power down your cable modem or DSL box before you plug in the Linksys. You might have to also call your ISP to tell them about the change if you have a static IP.

To get to the administration page on your linksys, go to your browser and type 192.168.1.1 do not put anything in the name field and just type admin in the password field. This should get you in to make changes without the CD.

You can jump over to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys and see if anyone over there can help.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.....

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]