FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sleep and Unix

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Sleep and Unix
on Nov 29, 2006 at 7:46:19 pm

I understand that there are reasons to leave my Mac on all the time (Unix does something in the dead of night?).

Will putting the computer into Sleep mode adversely affect this Unix-self-maintenance scenario? What does Sleep actually do? Spin down drives, turn off monitor...?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
Re: Sleep and Unix
on Nov 29, 2006 at 8:58:51 pm

I've never heard anything about keeping our computers on ALL the time. We have 5 (Quad G5s) on a SAN and we shut them down on weekends. We keep them on during the week for the different shifts.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Sleep and Unix
on Nov 30, 2006 at 6:18:47 am

There are Daily, Weekly and Monthly "cron" tasks that Unix runs overnight, if the machine is left on. Mostly cleanup of log files and other housekeeping, no harm done by their not being done, unless maybe you're running an enterprise server or some such "big iron" application. There are many freeware and shareware Mac utilities that allow you to run these tasks manually; MacJanitor, Onyx, Cocktail, Macaroni, to name just a few, and of course they're always accessible via Terminal. The issue of whether to leave machines on or off is debated incessantly on all computer forums, with neither camp ever making a good case for its side.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]