FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pardon my internet ignorance...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Pardon my internet ignorance...
on Nov 21, 2006 at 8:11:09 am

Would it be possible to set up TOTALLY SECURE & STABLE internet access for FCP on XServe that would be limited simply to IChat/email between the systems? No Safari browsing would be desired - it would only be for the editors to communicate with each other.

Thanks

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Pardon my internet ignorance...
on Nov 21, 2006 at 4:12:37 pm

You could set up a new account on the computer don't give it administrator rights and inable parental controls.

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Nov 21, 2006 at 4:20:45 pm

Thanks, I imagine your advise is that I'll still be able to edit under that new account. However what would prevent any hacking?

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Nov 21, 2006 at 4:26:38 pm

I cant say for shure because I have never tried it I prefer to use an administrator account because then I can install things if needed.

The eazyist way would be to just have no internet access at all.

What are you woried about with the internet that help me give a better solutiution

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Nov 21, 2006 at 4:35:52 pm

Are you worried that your editors might try to use the internet and you want to PREVENT them from doing it? Or are you thinking they'll stay away from the web on their own, but you're worried about bad things happening without their knowledge?

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Nov 21, 2006 at 6:12:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not really worried about anything...The concern is about making sure our environment is secure from outsiders. The point of IChat or Mail or whatever solution is so we can communicate easily with each other.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Nov 21, 2006 at 6:57:40 pm

the best way to secure your keep you safe from out siders is a secure newtork set up your router to only let certin mac addressis conect.

As far as keeping others out by not alowing internet use, email and ichat still need to be conected to the internet to work so even if you removed web browsing the computers are still have access to the internet and are still potentualy vonerable.

Unless ou have super secret info on your computers then most likely nobody will cate yo hack into your computers for it. If the info is that important dont conect to the internet at all.

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Nov 21, 2006 at 9:01:53 pm

[zrb123] "If the info is that important dont conect to the internet at all."

We don't...I was just hoping there'd be an easier solution than what we use now - separate and disparate laptops.

Thanks for the replies.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Nov 22, 2006 at 2:50:24 am

Assuming the your systems are in the same physical location, couldn't iChat and Bonjour be used for internal messaging? This would keep you only on your LAN and off the internet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]