FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error -36

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RitaKSanders
Error -36
on Nov 15, 2006 at 2:31:00 am

Hi all,

Having this problem- when trying to copy (drag and drop in the Finder) .mov files from an internal non-boot drive to an external fw400 drive, most of them will copy but a few give me the "Operation can not be completed because some data in (file name) can not be read or written." It's the same clips every time. They are working fine in FCP.

I've had this problem before on a completely different system and the only way to fix it was to reformat the copy-to external drive. That drive was known to be trouble, so it didn't surprise me. Once it was reformatted- all clips copied perfectly.

Does anyoen have any ideas on how to fix it and NOT reformat? Pipe-dream?

As always, much thanks in advance,

Rita

Currently-
osx 10.3.9
g4 867 mHz
1.12 gb RAM

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Error -36
on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:27:42 pm

Check to make sure that the drive you're trying to copy to isn't formatted for a Windows machine. If it is you'll still be able to copy files over to it, as long as the individual file sizes aren't larger than 4 GBytes. If the drive was formatted by an earler Windows machine the maximum file size drops to 2 Gbytes.

If you need to cut up the files you can use FCP's Media Manager to do this, or just export the files from FCP in smaller sizes. The average is roughly 1 Gbyte for every 5 min. of DV25 footage. Higher rez clips will see a jump in file size.

Hope this helps.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]