FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice needed for moving to new machine

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Advice needed for moving to new machine
on Oct 19, 2006 at 9:04:32 pm

I have a buyer for my old G5 and I've ordered a new MacPro. I have copied all my Home folders onto an external drive. Can I just replace the Library and other folders on the new machine with the folders from the old G5? Also, what would be the best method for prepering the old machine for sale? Should I just re-format the system drive and then do a fresh install of the OS? Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Advice needed for moving to new machine
on Oct 19, 2006 at 9:48:15 pm

When your new machine comes, plug it into the G5 with a firewrie, THEN turn it on.

During the setup it will ask if you want to migrate your files. Say 'ok.'

After that's done, check and see what it's copied from the old machine. I'm not sure how much stuff it copies, but I'd start with that and see what's missing at that point. You may still have to move some stuff, but it will be far less stuff at that point.

As for the G5, yeah, I'd use the OS CD it came with to erase the drive. Use the security option button in the Disc Utility to write over the entire drive. It will take awhile but is the safest way to go. Then, instal the OS and ship it off with the OS CD included.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 20, 2006 at 1:06:17 am

Dynamite! Thanks Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: One more Question, Jeff
on Oct 22, 2006 at 5:54:53 am

Jeff,

When I connect the two computers, do I need to "see" both machines? I only have one monitor. Do I need two?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Oct 22, 2006 at 9:25:18 pm

I've never done it, but I think you only need to see the new machine.

Turn on the old machine with the monitor, make sure it's working and check the energy settings in the system preferences to make sure it's not going to shut itself down. Then move the monitor to the new machine and turn it on. I'm pretty sure you can do everything from there at that point.

Set them up side by side so it's easy to switch the monitor cable between the two without moving anything else. That will also make it easy after the fact when you need to check back and forth to see if anything's missing from the new machine.

Return to posts index

MRTrauffer
on Oct 23, 2006 at 2:22:07 pm

I've personally done this type of transfer before. You don't need to "see" both machines during this transfer cycle. Your G5 will just be recognized as an external FireWire drive.

Michael R. Trauffer

Apple Pro Certified, Final Cut Pro 5-Level 1

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Oct 25, 2006 at 6:04:37 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "I have copied all my Home folders onto an external drive. Can I just replace the Library and other folders on the new machine with the folders from the old G5?"

Using Target Disk Mode by connecting the computers by Firewire and holding down the "T" key while starting the old Mac is the correct method and very easy. You may need to reinstall some applications from scratch and/or their serial numbers as they don't like to be copied this way.

[Chris Babbitt] "Also, what would be the best method for prepering the old machine for sale?"

Erase the hard drive and reinstall the software. But before you do that, be sure to deauthorize the old Mac if it is authorized in iTunes. Also, if its set to sync with another computer using .Mac syncing you should remove it from the syncing list. Look in the Advanced pulldown menu in iTunes.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: ONE MORE QUESTION
on Oct 26, 2006 at 4:18:28 pm

Thanks guys, for all the great advice. I am now erasing the old machine and installing a fresh copy of the OS. One more thing....
Can I re-install software without assigning a new Administrator name, so that the new buyer can start fresh, and put in his name when he first boots-up the machine?

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: ONE MORE QUESTION
on Oct 27, 2006 at 8:17:15 am

[Chris Babbitt] "One more thing....
Can I re-install software without assigning a new Administrator name, so that the new buyer can start fresh, and put in his name when he first boots-up the machine?"

Not really, but he can create a new user (admin) and then delete yours. Just use "Admin" for the name and something like "1234" for the password.

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]