FORUMS: list search recent posts

FW Questions and Strategy

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chrome
FW Questions and Strategy
on Oct 4, 2006 at 12:16:10 pm

Is there a good strategy for running multipl external firewire units? My G5 twin 2.5, seems to really struggle. I have a G-Raid 500Gb raid array and a Lacie 500Gb drive connected by FW800 (rear board) and an additional 4 external FW400 drives of between 250 to 400Gb, one connected to the front of the Mac, one connected to the rear of the Mac and one connected to the rear of the cinema screen. Each of these have their own PSU (of course).

When I connect my TASCAM FW-1884 control surface/mixing desk to a FW port on the cinema screen, a FW Hub or the back of an exisitng drive, it is usually failed to be recognised. However if I have it connected to the back of a external drive and I restart the Mac it IS recognised, but only two of the external drives are recognised by the Mac... this is a real PITA as I have to keep re-configuring things all the time, which is not conducive to work in an edit suite.

Does the Mac have a finite number of FW connections? How do people cope (I tried a hub and that was near useless)? Is there a 'best practice' or 'strategy' that I could employ? or is there perhaps a 'miracle device' that will sort it all out for me? I never had this problem when running multiple FW drives from a PC.

Confused...

---
Cheers,
Chrome
---
Mac G5, Dual 2.5, 8Gb, Media G-Raid, 30" Cinema, Decklink HD Pro, HD-Connect-LE

Return to posts index

Chrome
Re: FW Questions and Strategy
on Oct 19, 2006 at 11:42:18 am

Can anybody help with this? I'm really struggling.

---
Cheers,
Chrome
---
Mac G5, Dual 2.5, 8Gb, Media G-Raid, 30" Cinema, Decklink HD Pro, HD-Connect-LE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]