FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to know about migrating from PC to Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stevem1928
What to know about migrating from PC to Mac
on Sep 30, 2006 at 2:52:01 am

I may be switching from PC to Mac. What are the things I need to be aware of before making the switch? I realize that I will need to buy new software.
Will most my existing perpherals (printer, scanners) continue to work on a Mac?
How about components like hard drives, video cards?

I have been searching for a good website to get me up to speed on Macs, especially concerning dual boot systems. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: What to know about migrating from PC to Mac
on Sep 30, 2006 at 3:59:54 am

mabie yes mabie no

you did not say what exactly you want to use with the mac
be spisific about the models

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Sep 30, 2006 at 4:27:35 am

You didn't give enough details for me to say for certain, but almost anything that connects with USB will probably work on your Mac.

Here's 4 questions for you:

1) What programs do you use on your PC now? (What things do you do with your computer?)

2) How much money are you planning to spend on a Mac.

3) What monitor do you currently use? (Size, pixels, LDC or CRT, DVI or VGA)

4) What items are you trying to re-use? (Like, what kind of hard drives?)

Tell us those and we can start to give some useful advice.

Return to posts index

stevem1928
on Sep 30, 2006 at 4:16:51 pm

Sorry for the lack of details. I was thinking I was still in the After Effects forum. I use Photoshop, After Effects and 3D Max. I do a lot of high-end video editing. I have a lot of expensive software which I hate to buy again. I am not sure if I can purchase an upgrade, or have to buy the full version. I also use Premiere Pro. I know that one does not have a Mac compitable version. I would have to swithc to Final Cut Pro.

Money is not much of concern. I am looking at something like a Powermac G5. I currently use a PC with dual 21" monitors, CRT VGA each set at 1600 x 1200 (total 3200 x 1200). One of the monitors blew out this morning. I am currently trying to get it back into service as I am writing this. It is hard for me to work on such a small space now. I don't think a single 24" widescreen is enough. The 30" are pricey. I may go with 2 - 20" LCD's.

Items I am trying to re-use are things hard drives primarily, maybe a video card, firewire card, printers, and scanners. I have both SATA & IDE drives. The main concern would be how to copy the data from one system to another. I typically have 3 drives installed on a computer. When I build a new system, I just pull the back up drive and put it into the new computer. I don't know if I can do this when changing over to a Mac.

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Oct 7, 2006 at 5:08:33 am

Congrats on the big decision switch. You'll be amazed everyday at how well the OS and all the Apple applications are integrated (and how easy they are to use) once you get over the initial "this doesn't work the way I did it on a PC" shock.

[stevem1928] "Sorry for the lack of details. I was thinking I was still in the After Effects forum. I use Photoshop, After Effects and 3D Max. I do a lot of high-end video editing. I have a lot of expensive software which I hate to buy again. I am not sure if I can purchase an upgrade, or have to buy the full version. I also use Premiere Pro. I know that one does not have a Mac compitable version. I would have to swithc to Final Cut Pro."

Here's a cool thing that many pro's don't know. If you go to an Apple Store they sell something called "Pro Care." For just $99 a year, you get 1 on 1 training with one of the Apple Creative's once a week for a year. Yes, that's $99 for up to 52 hours (once a week) of one on one training on any Apple (and some non Apple) applications (or just how to do almost anything on the Mac you need help with). You can even bring your own projects and they'll help you do them. Its' a steal at that price in my opinion. I know you're a pro, but you don't know the Mac and you could learn a lot about Final Cut and the other applications with some one on one time with an experienced Apple Creative.

Last I checked, Adobe does do cross-grades for really cheap (like the cost of shipping). The trick was finding the right person at Adobe that knows about doing it. I believe you want to call Adobe sales and not Adobe tech-support. You might look into running Maya to replace 3D Max, or remember that you can boot the new Mac Pro's into Window's if needed to run PC only software (3D Max), but I doubt you'll want to use Window's once you get used to OS X.

Final Cut, Motion, LiveType, DVD Studio and Soundtrack (Final Cut Studio) are awesome and well worth the time you'll invest to learn these great applications.

[stevem1928] "Money is not much of concern. I am looking at something like a Powermac G5. I currently use a PC with dual 21" monitors, CRT VGA each set at 1600 x 1200 (total 3200 x 1200). One of the monitors blew out this morning. I am currently trying to get it back into service as I am writing this. It is hard for me to work on such a small space now. I don't think a single 24" widescreen is enough. The 30" are pricey. I may go with 2 - 20" LCD's."

Forget the 2 20" screens. The 30" Cinema Displays are down to $1995 and are worth every cent. Other than a new Mac, it will be the best purchase you make in the coming years.

[stevem1928] "Items I am trying to re-use are things hard drives primarily, maybe a video card, firewire card, printers, and scanners. I have both SATA & IDE drives. The main concern would be how to copy the data from one system to another. I typically have 3 drives installed on a computer. When I build a new system, I just pull the back up drive and put it into the new computer. I don't know if I can do this when changing over to a Mac."

Not as hard as you might think:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/software.html

Hope that helps,

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]