FORUMS: list search recent posts

(Serious?) Issues after Tech Tool Pro optimisation

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gribble
(Serious?) Issues after Tech Tool Pro optimisation
on Sep 8, 2006 at 3:18:44 am

I run Panther on my PowerPC and ran Tech Tool Pro for optimising and maintenance. It was beginning to take several days so I quit the program.
Now I can only start up from a boot disk or the emergency partition. The main drive does not show up as a startup option at all!

I tried re-installing the OS and it still tells me there is a lot of disk space used up by my documents but I can't get to them. Help!

Error message in Disk Utility was:

Invalid B-tree node size (-9972)

Is there a simple work around before I spent a forune at an Apple Centre?

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: (Serious?) Issues after Tech Tool Pro optimisation
on Sep 8, 2006 at 4:48:20 am

Please tell me you backed up your stuff... if not put a big note on your forehead and make sure you do from now on...

Where in the tech tool optimization did you stop it... and what will your computer do and what won't it do, is it just you can't access files or is it more then that?

Try booting from the system disc and verifying the disc, don't repair permissions this will completely screw you up...

My guess is you screwed your catalog file up and it needs to be rebuilt, and if this is the case you want to do that before you make to many changes to HD files... Discutil should be able to do this...

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

gribble
on Sep 8, 2006 at 8:17:58 pm

Thanks Simon.

Yes I backed MOST of the files up barring the one I need. Typical!

I stopped the optimisation process quite early in the process altho it had been running for 12 hours with little progress on the progress bar.

I had tried booting from a system cd as well as connecting through a network from my other Mac. That way I can see my user directory but no shared folders inside it.

So essentially the files are on the HD but the main startup disk can't be seen usually the StartUp from system Preferences.

If I rebuild the catalog file with Discutil will I lose everything off the HD?

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Sep 8, 2006 at 10:03:34 pm

If your repair your disc, you with discutil, you shouldn't lose anything, unless techtool messed something up...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:32:25 am

Haven't seen Disk Warrior mentioned yet. It excels at directory-related problems.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Sep 9, 2006 at 12:49:51 pm

That's true, but discutil should be able to repair the problem and I am always for not spending money on more utils to do the same thing... unless there is a reason...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

gribble
on Sep 11, 2006 at 4:53:17 am

chuck

yes. disk warrior did resolve the problem, mounting the drive and cleaning up the catalog etc...

Gribble
::: Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana :::

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]